She couldn't figure anything out, there seemed to be no information to gather at first.
Then it felt like she was being strangled, like two arms were tightly wrapped around her constricting her entire body.
Mai tried to breathe desperately but the feat seemed impossible at the moment.

"Monster."

A unclaimed voice hissed from behind Mai, like the creature that was strangling her decided to taunt her in her last moments.

This dream was different than the others, like Mai's mind found a new way to torment her.
On the outside the only one close to her was a sleeping Kirishima. His arms were gently wrapped around Mai, her head resting on his left arm and his right was loosely thrown over her waist not suffocating in the slightest.
But Mai's mind took inspiration from the position and used it to make Mai's dream her own personal hell.

Kirishima didn't notice Mai's squirming at first but it slowly got worse and progressed till she started to struggle, jerking her body as she attempted to fight off the phantom voice from her nightmare.

Kirishima's eyes peeled open when he was elbowed in the chest. He sat up on his elbow and looked at Mai in concern.
"Mai?"
He asked leaning over her and shaking her slightly.
"Hey Mai, wake up."
He whispered as her fighting got worse, she start gritting her teeth as the voice's nails dug into her flesh and ripped it from the bone.

"Stop."
She pleaded with the creature but to now avail.
"Please."
She whimpered, breathing heavily as her brow began to drop with sweat.
Kirishima turned her around and pulled her to his chest dispite her struggling.

"It's okay, just wake up."
He said louder than earlier, taking all of her hits to his hardened chest and stomach as she tried and failed to defeat the mysterious bogeyman.

Mai sobbed a threw another hit before she woke herself up. Her mind didn't catch up and continued her panicked fighting, hitting Kirishima and shoving away from him in desperation.

He's loosened his grip but kept his arms around her, if she went any farther back she would fall off the bed onto the glass bowls and computer on the floor.
"It's alright."
He whispered grabbing her arm as it flew up almost colliding with his jaw.

Mai's panicked eyes flew open and she let out a choked sob. They were still grey which was good, If she hit Kirishima with her quirk while he was unprepared he would've been out for the count for at least a day.

She sniffled and blinked at him taking a shuttering breath in. Her eyes looked from him to the hand he was holding as her mind struggled to break from it's haze.
When it did Her grey eyes widened in horror.
"I'm sorry."
She choked out when she realized what she did pulling her hand away and hugging it tightly to her body.

"Hey it's-"

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to- I'm sorry Kirishima I didn't-"
Her breathes became heavy and panicked. She hurt him, she hurt her friend. Kirishima was nothing but nice, he was perfectly kind and Mai hurt him.
"You were trying to help and-"
She couldn't breathe, her panicked eyes filled with tears as she began to struggle to take in oxygen.

"It's alright! You didn't mean to Mai-"
Kirishima tried to pull her closer but Mai pushed him away, her palm flat on his chest as she kept him at arms length.

"No no no no no."
She begged taking in short shallow breaths.
"Please s-stay ba-ck."
She whispered, hiccuping and sobbing into her own free hand. She hurt him. That's what she does right? All she's good at is hurting people. Is killing people.
"I'm sorry."
She cried, repeating the fraze over and over again like a broken record.

"Stop it."
Kirishima pleaded tears of his own forming.

"Please, please go. I'm a monster Kirishima, I h-hurt people. I killed people. I hurt you!"
She tried to suck into air but her body was to panicked to take it in correctly and it felt like she was choking herself.
"I d-don't want to hu-rt you! Please."
She begged trying to push herself away from her friend.

What was worse? Watching your friend get hurt? Or watching them leave you forever? Mai hated being alone, she hated losing people but the last thing she wanted was to be the one to hurt them. So she had to let them go right? She had to be the one to push away for their own safety.

So at least she could protect him from herself.

"STOP IT!"
Kirishima yelled.
Mai jumped in place eyes wide, she'd never heard him yell before. She sniffled a little bit but he had shocked her into giving him her full attention. Her bottom lip pointed out and trembled as she took in shaky breaths.

He grabbed her tightly and shoved her against his chest locking her in a hug.
"I don't like it when people talk like that about someone I care about."
He mumbled resting his chin on her head.
"So stop it, and calm down okay?"

Mai stood deathly still, afraid to move.
Was this guy stupid? Crazy? Why is he doing this anyway? Who actually wanted to be Mai's freind? Maybe Midoriya was the sane one. He was the only one smart enough to leave Mai.

"You could get in trouble."
Mai whispered calmly, she broke out of her panic thanks to Kirishima's yelling. But she still remained in the same mindset.
"For being in my dorm at night. You might even be expelled."

"I don't care."
He said looking at the cat on her desk. Where the hell did Kaminari get clay anyways? Did he have it in his dorm? Or did he steal it from the art room?

"B-but you should, maybe you should leave. Aizawa will be pissed."

"No, I'm staying."
He said looking away from the cat and resting his forehead in between her horns.
They were cute, so we're her ears. They were pointed at the end and slightly longer than normal ears, like an elf. Her tail was also cute, but he couldn't see it right now, it was hiding under the blanket.

"B-but why? Why would you risk getting in trouble for me?"

"Because I love you."