-17-

For the first time in a long while, Grian felt warm.

The harsh freeze of the void was gone, the cold that had plagued him for what felt like months now was no more. He was barely coming back from unconscious when he realized that the frigid temperatures had finally stabilized to a normal level. Did that mean he was dead? Grian knew that he passed out from his own fatigue and weariness, so had he somehow died?

His eyes opened, the room around him dark. He couldn't feel his legs, as they ached from the constant walking he had previously put himself through. Grian had hoped to find a way out, or someone to talk to at the very least, though it was hopeless. The void was a merciless realm.

Grian moved his head, taking a look around the room using the least amount of effort in order to save his energy. He was in a bedroom. A small one, at that. With only a dresser and a bed that he laid in, the room seemed cramped, even with the bare minimum of furniture.

Wherever he was, it wasn't the void. Was he back in hermitcraft? Or was this an entirely new server? There was no way of telling until he had a chance to try exploring. However, it would be a while before Grian could move due to the lack of energy he faced. If he got a bit more rest, maybe he could head out in search of food.

As the builder was about to lay back down in an attempt to fall asleep, the door to the bedroom suddenly creaked open. "Grian!" Mumbo blinked, the wings on his back fluttering with excitement. "Oh my, you're awake!"

His body jerked with fear at the sight of the vex, reminding Grian of the day he was banned from the server. He hadn't seen Mumbo since then. "Wh—, why am I here?" He mumbled rather weakly, barely able to speak.

"Oh goodness, uh, it's quite a long story." The vex shook his head, walking over to the bedside table. He placed down a tray that had a cake, causing the shorter male to remember just how starving he was. "Please, eat first."

He was about to snatch the fork off the plate, though hesitated before shooting a glare at the mustached hermit. "What's in it? Poison? Did Scar bring me back to kill me?"

"No, no! In fact, he's not even a vex anymore!"

Grian raised an eyebrow as Mumbo handed him a slice of cake and a fork. "Well, after you were banned, I came back to my senses. I'm still a vex, but Scar's control over me seemed to have...faded, I guess."

"Sho your not evil?" He asked with a mouthful of cake.

"Um, I don't think so?" Mumbo scratched the back of his neck nervously. "Well, anyway. I helped Etho escape before I was captured. And well, Scar banned me."

The builder nearly choked on his cake. "Wait, he banned you too?"

"Yes. I spent all my time in that void looking for you to make sure you were okay, but I could never find you!" Mumbo sighed, sitting down next to Grian on the bed. "I don't know how long we were there for. It was like—"

"Time moved slow and fast at the same time?"

"Exactly!" Mumbo smiled, his wings fluttering. "But well, it must have been a while." He chuckled in a rather sad way, dragging his fingers along his stubble-covered cheek. "You're lucky you can't grow facial hair."

"I told you that in confidence! You know if I could grow a mustache, I would!" Grian joked with a wink, causing the redstoner's sad smile to return to a happy one.

"But, well, Scar brought as back. He used up all his magic turning the hermits into vexes, and now he's a human. Xisuma is back to normal too, I think. Though he's rather quiet now, he just watches."

"Watches? Watches what?" The builder asked as he finished his first slice of cake.

"Me, mainly. Whenever I work on— oh, I nearly forgot to tell you! Scar asked me to recreate the vex chamber that Doc made back in season six!" Mumbo said with excitement, his light blue eyes seeming to glow.