-13-

"Ah! He's waking up!"

Scar could hear the faint voice of his assistant as his consciousness faded in and out, barely able to find the strength to open his eyes. His head was an aching mess, with the mayor barely able to recall what had happened. Why did he feel so weak? He tried to close his fingers into a fist, but even that took an excruciating amount of effort and energy.

Using every little bit of strength that he could muster, the terraformer managed to crack his eyes open ever-so-slightly. The people standing at the edge of his bed were blurry figures that he struggled to identify, though he knew that one of them had to be Bdubs.

"Good to see you up, Scar." Cub's voice spoke up, "You've been asleep for the whole day."

"Just rest," Xisuma chimed in, "no need to worry about anything. We don't want you pushing yourself, now do we?"

Someone took his hand, their palms icy cold. "I'll be here to care for you, my lovely mayor! Soon you'll be back to your full strength in no time!" Bdubs assured him, his voice soft and comforting.

Scar shut his eyes, unable to keep them open for much longer. He couldn't remember what had happened to leave him bedridden, everything was a blur that the terraformer couldn't make sense of.

"Might want to grab him a regeneration potion, that'll give him a bit of energy to talk. He must be exhausted." The admin spoke up before the sound of a cork popping could be heard. Someone gently opened Scar's mouth, pouring the liquid down his throat.

He swallowed the best he could, the faint aftertaste of a blend of berries resting on his tongue. A jolt of energy shot through the mayor as he did so, just enough to help him keep his eyes open. Scar blinked a few times to clear his vision, the silhouettes of the hermits surrounding him becoming clearer and clearer.

Bdubs was the first thing his attention was drawn to, with his normally-red band tied around his head now a light shade of blue. His eyes shared the same color as they sparkled with excitement, while the wings on his back flapping as fast as his heart beat.

The mayor's eyes slowly trailed down towards his hand, which his assistant was holding with his claw-like fingers intertwined with Scar's. He jumped, instantly pulling away from Bdubs as he almost fell out of bed.

"Y-you're a vex!" He shouted in horror, "Bdubs, what—"

"You did this to me!" The builder said happily with a grin that never faded.

"You used the last bit of your magic to turn me into a loyal subject! I know you probably don't remember much, but you won the war against the resistance using your vex powers! At first I didn't understand, but now I can see how you've improved all of our lives!"

Scar glanced towards Xisuma with his green eyes begging for help, only to find the same light blue color and wings that rested on his back. "Don't worry," the admin said calmly as he opened a floating screen. "I'll change your game code and mix it with the code of a vex, you'll have your powers back in no time."

"N-no! Please!" The mayor begged desperately, with the vex freezing instantly. He closed the screen, giving a slight nod.

"Of course. My apologies." Xisuma said, almost robotically. Cub laughed at the slightly perplexed look that had come across the terraformer's face, the enforcer crossing his arms as his blue eyes glowed.