Chapter 3

(Sept 21st 1994)

   At Central Perk everyone but Rachel is here and Monica had just told us about her Paul the wine guy issue. Joey is sitting on the arm of the couch.

Joey: Of course it was a line!.

Monica: Why?!. Why?, Why, why would anybody do something like that?.

Karina: "Sarcastically". Well I don't know about anyone else here but I assume to get you into bed.

Monica: I hate men!, I hate men!.

Phoebe: Oh no don't hate you don't want to put that out into the universe.

Monica: Is it me?. Is it like I have some sort of beacon that only dogs and men with severe emotional problems can hear?.

Phoebe: All right c'mere gimme your feet.

Phoebe starts massaging Monica's foot.

Monica: I just thought he was nice y'know?.

Joey: "Laughing". I can't believe you didn't know it was a line!.

Monica pushes him off of the couch as Rachel enters with a shopping bag.

Rachel: Guess what?.

Ross: You got a job?.

Rachel: Are you kidding?. I'm trained for nothing!. I was laughed out of twelve interviews today.

Chandler: And yet you're surprisingly upbeat.

Rachel: You would be too if you found John and David boots on sale fifty percent off!.

Chandler: "Sarcastically". Oh how well you know me...

Rachel: They're my new I don't need a job, I don't need my parents, I've got great boots...Boots!.

Monica: How'd you pay for them?.

Rachel: Uh credit card.

Monica: And who pays for that?.

Rachel: Um...my...father.

*Time Lapse*

    At Monica and Rachel's everyone is sitting around the kitchen table. Rachel's credit cards are spread out on the table along with a pair of scissors.

Rachel: Oh God come on you guys is this really necessary?. I mean I can stop charging anytime I want.

Monica: C'mon you can't live off your parents your whole life.

Rachel: I know that. That's why I was getting married.

Phoebe: Give her a break it's hard being on your own for the first time.

Rachel: Thank you.

Phoebe: You're welcome. I remember when I first came to this city. I was fourteen. Me and Karina's mom had just killed herself and our stepdad was back in prison and I got here and I didn't know anybody. And I ended up living with this albino guy who was like cleaning windshields outside port authority and then he killed himself and then I found aromatherapy. So believe me I know exactly how you feel. "Get's up".

Ross then takes the spot Phoebe was sitting.

Karina: The word you're looking for is...Anyway.

Monica: All right you ready?.

Rachel: No. No, no. I'm not ready!. How can I be ready?. Hey Rach, You ready to jump out the airplane without your parachute?. Come on I can't do this.

Monica: You can I know you can.