TWENTY-SIX

[ ELECTRA ]

When none of the Gladers moved, the lady kept speaking, "Sorry about the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm. Now, follow me. There's a lot to explain!"

The woman beckoned the group with her hand, before turning and walking away. After a couple of steps, she looked over her shoulder and sighed when the Gladers still weren't following her.

"We're the reason you're all still alive, and it's our intention to keep it that way. Now, I know you're scared, but I bet you're also hungry, and where I'm going there's pizza. So, come on, let's get you kids squared away."

Pizza? Electra couldn't remember if she'd ever had pizza before, but a clear photo of it came up in her mind and she felt her mouth-watering.

The other Gladers seemed to be thinking the same way she was, as they all slowly started to follow the mystery woman deeper into the building.

Numerous workers blizzarded around them, all busy with their various tasks. Boxes were lifted into the air by cranes and nestled on top shelves while some of the workers welded metal poles together, and others drove small forklifts with supplies on them. The air smelled of metal and dust. Electra couldn't understand what was going on around her, although everyone around her seemed exactly sure of what they were doing.

"Unfortunately, Mr. Janson is busy at the moment so he requested me to run you all up to speed," the lady called out, not even casting a glance backwards. "My name is Claudia Fairhurst. I'm the head of security for the Group B survivors, although I'm sure I'll also be looking after the two girls from this group as well."

Electra couldn't understand a word Claudia was saying. Group B? There was another Maze?

Although some of the Gladers murmured their confusion, Claudia kept speaking, "I'm sure you're wondering where you are, and the answer is a bit tricky. You see, for us, it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Ah, here we are!"

Claudia stepped up to a room and turned the large wheel doorknob. The door creaked open, and a light flashed on automatically as Claudia casually strolled into the room.

"Come on now. Sit, sit. The pizza will get here soon. They're making sure it's hot for you guys."

A large metal table sat in the middle of the room, and various chairs surrounded it. Claudia pulled out a seat at the end of the table, sitting down and motioning for the Gladers to join her.

Slowly, the Gladers crept into the room, sliding noisy chairs out from under the table and taking their seats. Electra found herself closest to Claudia, with Minho on her left. Claudia flashed her a friendly smile and Electra tilted her head in confusion.

"What's going on?" Thomas was the first to speak, awkwardly shuffling in his chair. He was sat across from Electra, on Claudia's other side.

Claudia looked up at the ceiling and let out a small laugh, "That's a very long story."

Electra groaned, "Well that's why you dragged us over here, isn't it? To explain things? Get on with it."

Claudia slowly turned to look at her, and although the woman's gaze was nothing but friendly, Electra felt only intimidation.

"You're a smart one," Claudia said. "It will take a while before you get your memories back, if ever. We're not scientists, we have no idea what they did to you, or how they did it."