NINETEEN

[ ELECTRA ]

Before Thomas or Newt could ask her any questions, Electra pushed past them and followed Minho into the Homestead.

Once she reached the biggest building in the Glade, she began carefully opening doors to try and find which room he'd isolated himself in. She wondered if he retreated down to the basement, then figured Minho wouldn't have gone down there if he wanted to be alone.

After testing all the doors on the ground floor, Electra ascended to the second floor and found Minho in the third room she tried. He was sitting on a rickety old chair, leaning over with his head in his hands.

Minho didn't even look up when she entered the room. "You know I'm right, Electra. Don't try to deny it. There's no way out."

Electra sighed, before grabbing another chair. She slid it in front of him and sat down. "Don't be such a hothead. Just because the Maze isn't changing doesn't mean there isn't a way out."

"Every single wall is sealed shut with stone. There's literally a zero percent chance any hidden exits could be in the walls."

"Well, the Maze hasn't changed but we have more resources now. The Griever device, the Cliff, the codes. Minho, it's all coming together."

"You really think so?" Minho's tone was laced with despair.

"Yeah, I do."

Minho let out a long breath and buried his face even further in his hands. The next words he spoke were muffled, but Electra still heard each word clearly.

"How many more Gladers will have to die before we figure out how to escape?"

The question sobered her and her heart lurched for her best friend. Minho felt responsible for the Gladers' safety. He was Keeper of the Runners. Finding a way out was his job and he thought he was failing at it.

Electra reached out a hand and hesitated for a split second before gently rubbing his back. "I don't know. But if we do nothing then we'll all die."

"You sound like Newt right now."

Electra startled herself when she laughed, "Don't say that to me ever again."

Electra could feel some weight lifted off of her friend's shoulders when she'd laughed, but she could tell he was still plagued with guilt. Minho remained seated slumped over in his hands, practically motionless.

"Come on, Minho. The Gladers look up to you. I know you think you're failing them, but you're not. We still have time. We'll find a way out, I promise."

Minho waited a bit before he replied, "When did you become an optimist?"

Electra smiled, and gently brought him up to meet her eye. "When you become a pessimist, I need to be the optimist. That's our deal."

A small smile appeared on his lips through the wave of sadness that stuck to the rest of his face. His eyes were red, his cheeks soaked in tears. Their eye contact was unwavering, and Electra felt the urge to fall into temptation and pull him into another kiss.

Then, she realized the reality of their situation. Someone was dying each night, and more would surely die when they tried to escape. Electra pushed herself out of her chair and moved to the other side of the room. Minho stayed seated in his chair, using his arms to wipe his cheeks.