FOUR

[ MINHO ]

When Minho saw the leather collar on the floor of the Maze the morning after the Banishment, he casually picked it up and tossed it aside. I hope Ben didn't give Electra a hard time, he grumbled, pushing the thought out of his mind and continuing with his morning stretches.

Looking over, he watched as Newt, the Greenie, and Chuck made their way out of the Kitchen and towards a picnic table, Thomas' hair still messy from sleeping. Looks like the Newbie got to sleep in. Lucky him. Minho shook off the soreness in his muscles and creakiness in his bones. What he wouldn't give to have had a couple hours more sleep.

As Gladers began to swarm in front of the West Door, wishing him luck or nervously staring at him, Alby pushed through the crowd and patted him on the back. "You about ready to go, huh?"

"Of course I am. I should be asking you that question," Minho said, shaking out his arms while running in place.

"Slim it," Alby said before looking back one last time at the Glade. When he turned back, he gestured for Minho to take the lead.

"Good luck with the Griever!"

"Bring back a souvenir for me, will ya?"

"Hey, Minho! If it's dead then who killed it?"

Minho ignored the noise and moved forward into the Maze, breaking out into a fast jog. He didn't want to waste time but he also wasn't sure how fast Alby could run. The leader obviously wasn't used to running long distances, being cooped up in the Glade for most of his remembered life. Minho hoped Alby wasn't completely useless at running; he didn't want to waste the day waiting for him. He had better things to do than wait up for this boy.

After running for a solid ten minutes, Alby finally spoke, "How far is this stupid Griever again? Ya sure you ain't gonna get us lost?"

"Still quite a ways away. When did you get out of shape?" Minho laughed but reluctantly slowed down the tiniest bit.

Alby didn't reply, simply casting a harsh glare over at Minho. The leader had always been a bit of a stick in the mud, but today he really wasn't having it. This Griever situation obviously stressed him out more than the Box not going back down, and the sweat beads trickling down the leader's forehead along with the nervous scanning of his surroundings let his anxieties be public. Minho assumed he'd be just as stressed if he, himself, hadn't been exposed to dead Grievers over the years from Electra.

Electra. Minho wondered where she was. He wasn't surprised that she was nowhere to be seen. Minho was with Alby after all, and Electra never showed herself to the other Gladers. He quickly looked up, blinking through the dizziness to try to see if he could notice her following them. He knew he wouldn't see her but gave a quick look upwards nevertheless.

He immediately felt worry wrap around his throat. Last night's Banishment had left him feeling uneasy, and he thought about how Ben could've potentially found Electra and hurt her. You found the collar outside the Doors, he reminded himself. She's perfectly fine, stop being a dumbass. She's more than capable of taking care of herself.

Lost in thought, Minho almost missed a right turn. He spun as quickly as he could and slipped on the stone floor, the pebbles under his shoes carrying him towards the far wall. He regained his balance without falling and continued running forward, casting a glance backwards to make sure Alby was alright.