SEVENTEEN

[ ELECTRA ]

Catching up to Minho before he reached the Doors, Electra swung her arm out and gently put her hands on his chest. He looked down at her and slowed to a stop, allowing the rest of the group consisting of Newt, Thomas, Teresa, and the preteen boy to catch up.

"Woah, Minho. Don't you think we should make a game plan before you run into the Maze without a purpose?" Newt asked, placing his hands on his hips.

"You're the leader. You make the plan. Thomas and I need to get out there." Minho tried to move past Electra but she pushed him backwards.

"What?" Thomas blurted out. "Sorry, Minho but I agree with Newt. We need to make a plan."

"We already missed a day, and at a time like this it's crucial we get out there. Who knows how the Maze has changed since the Doors stopped closing, and the other Runners are either too busy or too chicken to check it out." Minho grinned at his comment. "So we have to."

"Fine, you're right," Newt sighed. "All I ask is that you shanks go retrieve the maps and the weird Griever device and bring it back before you go exploring. I'll round up some Gladers we can trust and we can start studying these things full time while you're away." He looked out toward the broken barricades before turning back toward Minho. "And don't be stupid, you're not going out there empty-handed. What good will you be if you get lost?"

"Good that. Everything is fine and dandy." Minho nodded towards Thomas. "Come on."

Minho started in the direction of the Homestead to gather some running supplies and Thomas quickly ran after him. Electra moved to follow them, but Minho raised an arm in front of her, shielding her from moving any further.

"Ehh not a good idea. You're injured, remember?"

Instinctively, Electra looked down at her shoulder which was still heavily bandaged. The wound stung with pain, but she sighed through it. Exhaustion plagued her, the feeling reaching to the tips of her fingers. Other wounds scattered her body like stars in a night sky, and oddly enough she was reminded of the artificial stars she used to see every time the fake sun would set beneath the Maze walls.

"Since when have you ever told me what to do? I'm coming. End of story." Electra pushed through his arm and made her way to the Homestead.

She had a hazy memory of the layout of the building, but she remembered her pack, along with her unconscious body, had been resting on the top floor. She climbed up the stairs before Minho could catch up to her, passing a few Gladers who jumped out of her way when they saw her.

She barged through a door on the top floor she thought she'd been located on and saw her pack knocked over on the floor. She walked over to it and took a quick inventory of the supplies she had. Electra immediately noticed the blood-stained lining. Peering deeper into the bag, she began shuffling through her belongings. None of her supplies had been stolen by any of the Gladers who could've stumbled into the room.

Then, her heart nearly stopped. Where was her knife? She remembered taking it off of her pack and holding it up to Gally when he'd burst into the room. Electra scoured through the room, first checking underneath the bed, then ripping the sheets off the mattress and throwing them to the floor. The room was empty, besides a couple of pieces of furniture. Where had she dropped it? Did someone take it?

She heard footsteps in the hallway just outside the room and she turned to see Minho standing in the doorway. He playfully tilted his head at her, before walking over and letting out a small laugh.

"You're insufferable, you know that?" he teased, his lips curling into a smile as he pulled her knife out of his pack and handed it over to her.

Electra couldn't help but smile back at him and warmth filled her entire being. The sensation was the same one she'd felt countless times before while in his presence, but then she was reminded of the kiss they'd shared. She realized she never properly took the time to process the moment, but now, when they were all about to run into the Maze where anything could happen, it still didn't seem like the right time.