FOURTEEN

[ ELECTRA ]

Dull pain was the first thing to greet Electra as she opened her eyes. Groaning, she reached for her forehead with her left arm before harshly being reminded of what happened.

The wound in her left shoulder shot fire through her nerves. Electra let out a whine then pulled herself up to a seated position, swinging her legs around. Her feet hit the hardwood underneath her and its hollow sound brought her back to reality.

She blinked a few times to try to process what was around her. She was sitting in an actual bed in the corner of a room, the roughened sheets still tucked into the mattress. She couldn't remember ever having a real bed, although she must have before the Maze since its familiarity buzzed in the front of her head.

Beside the bed was a rickety table with nothing on it. The wood in the room was weathered, with numerous splinters sticking out and a fair share of warps. Her pack sat beneath the only window in the room and it slumped forward as if it too was exhausted.

A window? Electra tried to stand, wincing as her entire body protested for her to remain seated. Placing a hand on the wall, its jaggedness poked into her palm. She slowly stumbled over to the window and rested her weight on the sill, peering out at the world below her.

She was in the Glade. Electra had no idea what time it could be since the sky was still its boring shade of grey, but many boys were busily working below her, most of them working on rebuilding the fallen buildings.

The buildings themselves looked like piles of burnt ash and Electra assumed she must've been in the Homestead since her room was above the ground floor. She wondered how the Homestead was still standing, considering most of the other buildings had toppled to the floor during the attack.

The attack. Electra was sobered by the memories. She remembered cutting the device out of her own arm, before hastily trying to bandage it with whatever medical supplies she kept in her pack.

Next, she remembered sneaking past the barricades and seeing the utter mayhem unfolding in front of her. In the distance she saw a Griever stuffing Alby into its bulbous flesh, and beyond the killing she saw Minho, watching. Electra ran up to her best friend and fought off another Griever.

Finally, she remembered Thomas stabbing himself with the Griever spike right before Electra passed out.

Feeling dizzy on her own feet, Electra limped back over to the bed and sat down, letting out a sigh.

The doorknob started turning and instinctively Electra crawled backwards away from the door. When the door swung open, she saw Minho walking in with a tray of food in one hand and medical supplies in the other.

"You're awake," he commented, placing the food tray on the nightstand and the medical supplies on the bed.

"How long was I out?" Electra asked, looking at the food Minho brought. Her mouth watered when she saw a stew on the tray. She couldn't remember ever eating stew but, again, she knew she must have before.

"Mmmm." Minho looked up at the ceiling, mentally counting. "About seventeen hours."

Electra nodded slowly then reached over to grab the stew. When her arm flared in pain once again, she cringed and brought her arm back towards her, reaching her right hand up towards the wound.