THIRTEEN

[ ELECTRA ]
Content Warning: Attempted Suicide.

Electra didn't notice the bleeding wound in her left arm as the Griever turned to meet her, roaring in her face.

She screamed back at the monster before bringing her knife above her head and stabbing downwards. The Griever tripped backwards but Electra still managed to swipe a deep gash right across the middle of the monster's face.

The Griever took a few more steps back before another Griever screeched nearby. The one in front of her paused, in such a way that it looked like it was acknowledging the sound, before running away from her. She watched all the Grievers run out of the Glade, as if called out by their superiors. Electra stood, her only movement was her chest moving up and down as she breathed heavily through her mouth.

Then, the pain came back. The build up was slow, but when Electra looked down at her hands and saw her left arm coated in her own blood, her upper shoulder began to burn with pain.

Electra turned around to face Minho and he did nothing but stare at her. She could feel the gaze of the Gladers nearby on her, burning into her just like the gaping wound on her shoulder.

Slowly, her head turned to look at them.

They looked odd. She was so used to seeing them from far away on top of the walls but here they were. Right in front of her. Electra recognized Thomas first and noticed how he indecisively took a step forward, then another step back. She wondered how crazy she must look, covered in Griever slime with blood running down her arm and disheveled demeanor.

None of them approached her, not even Minho. Her eyes locked with each of the Gladers one by one and they all seemed to look away the second she met their gaze. She stopped when one boy with blond hair didn't look away from her.

She physically felt something click in her mind and then the memories attacked her.

Six months ago. Electra was running the Maze as she usually did. She'd just said goodbye to Minho for the day since she wanted to get back to her Cove early to get a bit more rest before her nightly duties. Minho still had to finish his running for the day and would probably return to the Glade at the very last second before the Doors closed.

She ran at ground level, slowing and checking if the next hallway was clear before turning each corner. The Runners were usually near the Glade at this time of the day and she didn't want to accidentally run into them. She could easily climb the wall and run on top but she was feeling particularly lazy that day.

Her shoulders cramped with soreness and she adjusted the straps of her pack. Minho had given her plenty of supplies today to her chagrin. As much as she tried to be grateful for what he gave her, she always felt stupid by accepting his tiny gifts of kindness. And now, his gifts of kindness were weighing heavily on her shoulders. Literally.

Electra groaned and sat down, flinging her pack around her shoulder and onto the ground in front of her. She gently massaged her shoulders for a few minutes, hoping no Runners would turn the corner and find her. Looking around the hallway, she noticed a thick ivy wall where she could hide just in case.

Instead of a boy running around the corner and seeing her, a loud thump made her jump to her feet.

Her first thought was Minho, that maybe something happened to him. Grabbing her pack off the floor, she ran to where she'd seen him last, her mind running wild with what could've happened.