TWENTY

[ ELECTRA ]

The next morning, Electra woke up to Thomas slowly pulling himself up off the floor. She blinked through the tiredness, then noticed besides the two of them the room was empty.

"What time is it?" Electra groaned, bringing her hands up to her eyes to rub some of the soreness away.

Thomas glanced at his watch. "Just after 7."

Electra stood, stretching out her back. "Why didn't Minho wake us? Do you think he went into the Maze without us?"

"Maybe he couldn't find us." Thomas turned to open the door without another word. Electra noticed the shakiness in his hands as he reached for the doorknob.

She remembered the way Thomas had stood up for her the night before, then found her and attempted to comfort her when she stormed away from the other boy. Electra reached out and put a hand on his shoulder before he could leave the room. The touch made Thomas jump and turn to face her.

"Thomas, is everything okay?"

Thomas looked down at her, examining her face in an attempt to make sure her question was serious.

After a few moments, he nodded. "Yeah. I need to call a Gathering. Soon as possible."

Electra let go of Thomas. "What? Why? Is there more you remembered that you didn't tell us?"

Thomas left the room, and Electra followed. "Well, I guess yeah kind of. I'm not sure if I remembered it from the Changing or just last night, but you said something that triggered something in me."

"What?"

Thomas turned to look at her. "I know how to get out."

Electra almost forgot how to walk. The statement was surreal and cooled her to the bone. He knew a way out? Something she'd said the night before had triggered a memory out of him? Suddenly she could barely remember the conversation they'd shared. She ran to catch up to Thomas, trying to catch his attention as he frantically looked around the Glade for Newt.

"What do you mean? Are you sure? Does it have something to do with the codes?"

Thomas shook his head. "I'll explain it all in the Gathering. Please, help me find Newt."

An hour later Electra stood outside the Council Hall, while the Keepers shuffled around inside the room.

"She's not a Keeper, she shouldn't be allowed. Same with Teresa," Newt said in a matter-of-fact tone.

A couple of Keepers were blocking the door, and after Newt's comment, Teresa muttered something under her breath before stomping away. Electra, however, pushed one of the Keepers aside and forced herself into the room.

"That's bullshit, Newt. I'm staying. If what Thomas told me this morning is true, then I need to be here."

Inside the room, most of the Keepers stayed frozen in their chairs, not even moving the slightest bit to approach her. She wondered if any of the Keepers had been there for last night's outburst, and luckily none of them happened to be the boy that yelled at her.

Shadow of the Maze | Maze Runner [1]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara