TWENTY-THREE

[ ELECTRA ]
Content Warning: Graphic Fight Scenes.

Electra raced forward, her eyes darting to each Griever in front of her. The monsters started to sprint toward her, their legs piercing into the stone floor. When the horrid smell of burnt metal greeted her, Electra quickly swerved to the left in an attempt to clear the middle of the hallway.

Some of the Grievers followed her, while the others were focused on the other Gladers who were charging into the hall. Still, Electra found herself outnumbered more than she'd ever been before.

Just before crashing into the closest Griever, Electra slid under the monster and went for the second one. The first Griever seemed oblivious to her sliding under it, and it went for the Gladers behind her.

As Electra evaded the second Griever's saw blade arm, the realization finally set in. She'd been able to slide underneath the Griever. She hadn't been able to do that since before the Ending.

Electra kicked the saw blade arm away from her, causing the Griever to trip. While the monster was distracted, Electra climbed up one of its arms and then stabbed her knife into its head. The creature screamed in agony and tried to shake her off, but she twisted the knife in the wound. The Griever fell forward and she tumbled off of it. By the time she got back onto her feet, another Griever was snarling in her face.

She cast a quick glance at the one on the floor, and it lay motionless. She narrowed her eyes. This was too easy. Had the Grievers devolved?

The new Griever waited for her to make the first move, and she darted forward and threw herself at one of the Griever's arms, relishing in satisfaction at the crack she heard. The metal leg hadn't broken off, but once the monster tried to put weight on it, the limb crumbled under the pressure and the Griever fell to the floor.

Electra was prepared to deliver the final blow to her second Griever when her attention was diverted by a scream just past her monster. She hadn't noticed the utter chaos ensuing around her, but she saw Newt on the floor, an arm raised to cover his face, while a Griever loomed over him.

She stepped onto her Griever to run over to Newt but the monster roared back to life. It jumped up, sending her forward and landing on the stone. She fell onto her knees and rolled forward, trying to stop herself before she got dizzy. Once stopped on the floor, Electra cringed at the scrapes she felt on her knees and palms.

Electra looked up, and Newt was off the floor and hugging one of the Griever's limbs. The monster started to vigorously shake the boy off of him, and eventually, it was successful. The Griever flung Newt's body across fifteen feet, and the blond boy crumpled onto the floor. The monster stalked up to Newt's motionless frame.

She didn't have time to think through her actions. Electra raced forward and before the Griever could touch Newt she slashed it across the back. The monster roared out, spinning to face her and spitting at her. Electra blinked through the mucus now covering her entire face and grabbed onto one of the Griever's legs.

Again, the Griever tried shaking her off, but she climbed up its body until her feet sunk into its soft back. Just as she was about to stab it in the head, the monster tripped backwards. Electra shoved her knife into its body to keep herself from falling off. The Griever screeched as her knife was dragged down its back, and the monster fell to the floor.