Turned Upside Down [BTS/Jungkook]

Magsimula sa umpisa

She could only look at the woman and then down at the floor, her hands holding each other as if trying to express how sorry she was for doing something she knew was not allowed. As much as she wanted to say something, the words kept getting stuck in her throat.

"You know," the woman added, "it's as if your parents didn't teach you any manners. They should've raised a better child."

And that was her breaking point. Apologizing once more with a deep bow, Rian ran out of the house and sat on the edge of the sidewalk, thanking fate for the empty street so that no one could see the tears sliding down her cheeks.

Memories of a younger herself came to her mind, a child that carelessly wanted to wait up all night for her parents to come back home only to show them what she had done in school, only to wake up the morning after in her bed, no sight of them anywhere; a child that never had anyone to talk to back at home, and often greatly envied other children when she saw them hand-in-hand with their mother or father. She had always wondered what it was to have people there for you, to cheer for you whenever you did something right, or scold you when it was wrong.

There was a certain feeling of resentment towards them in her heart, but she couldn't bring herself to hate them for what they did. Her aunt had always told her it was to keep the family up, but something told her that there was more to it, despite never asking or having any desire to find out.

Although she hadn't cried in a while, it felt as if she had never hidden her feelings away in the first place and everything was still skin deep. She didn't hear someone arriving with their bike and stopping a few steps away nor did she hear that person walking towards her and sitting next to her. Busy with her sadness, her face between her hands, she was startled when a way-too-familiar voice talked to her with a low tone. "Idiot?" he asked, with a note of sarcasm hidden there. "Are you crying because I took your precious glasses and you came all the way to my house to ask for them? That's brave of you."

Looking up but not at him, she wanted to turn around and slap him senseless. Trying to be as calm as possible, she said, "Jungkook, do you really believe I'm that pathetic? I didn't even know you lived around here; I just work here and... I just had a very bad day, that's it. If you don't mind I don't want to deal with you right now."

"Yeah, right, as if I were to believe that you just happen to work at my house. My mother told me we had gotten a new maid, but she never mentioned it would be someone like you." And just like that, she turned around and grabbed him by the neck of his shirt, surprising him. "Hey, what is your problem? Let go of me!"

She took a deep sigh as she stared into his eyes, and although she knew very well they hated each other she couldn't detect any actual evil there. She pushed him away, another tear rolling down her face, and she could hear him panting for a moment as if she had grabbed him too hard, but she couldn't really tell if she had used much of her strength. Lying on her back on the cold ground, Rian felt him sitting down besides her and she was about to get up and leave when he spoke again.

"Jeez, you didn't have to be so rough, you know?"

"How else could I make you understand? You don't seem to get it by just talking to you," she retorted, looking up at the sky and seeing a few clouds starting to appear far on the horizon.

An awkward silence grew between them, almost to the point where she felt asphyxiated by it. She wanted to get up and run, but then the image of Jungkook arriving home to someone who could listen to him appeared on her mind, and she felt the tears coming back. Sobbing as quietly as possible, she looked to the opposite side, hiding her face as much as she could, but a few seconds later it became worst. "Are you okay?" Jungkook asked, but she couldn't tell if he actually wanted to know. She didn't reply for a while, and she could feel his stare piercing through the back of her neck. "Look, I might be a dick and I know that we're not really friends or anything, but I'm not going to treat you like crap when you're already feeling like it."

"You and words don't really get along, right?"

"I'm not much of a poet," he admitted with a chuckle. "But I can definitely listen to you... just this time." She turned around and looked at him, having noticed no trace of sarcasm in the tone of his voice. He smiled as if trying to encourage her to open up. She thought about it, how she had only talked about it with few people outside of her family circle, but something about him made her want to talk with him.

"I don't want to bore you with my stupid problems," she said. But she knew that he'd want to listen no matter what; with a sigh, she chose her words carefully before adding, "I've never had someone there for me, you know? Not my parents, not my friends, no one. Today, something the house lady - your mom, I suppose, said reminded me of that, and it was as if everything came back, twice as hard as before.

"I guess it's the same when you push me around, putting me down; all those insecurities come back. I've always envied those who actually have people to talk with, someone to lean on when they're feeling sad, or when they need help. I've never had that, and it's as if wounds never healed that way.

"Do you know the quote 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'? Well... that's a lie to me. Do you know why? Because every time you say something to me, it's a bruise that never heals, no matter how many sticks and stones are being thrown."

Jungkook listened carefully, never taking his eyes off her, and at one point she also started to regret ever talking about that with him of all people. Her voice was quiet and slow, trying to make her feelings obvious yet short at the same time. Once she was done she looked at the ground waiting for him to say something, but he didn't make a sound; instead, he wrapped one arm around her, hesitantly at first but once it was around her shoulder his grip tightened ever so slightly. Although it felt weird to have him being so nice to her, but after a moment his touch made her feel comforted.

"I'm sorry you had to go through all of that," he said with an apologetic tone. "To be fully honest with you too, I've felt like that too, but not as bad as you, I guess, so I can't really understand your pain; as you said, I'm not really good with words. But if you ever come here and you find me here, don't doubt in talking to me if you need to... but only outside of school, at least for now. I'll have to sort out some things." He smiled at her, and it felt contagious. Chuckling, she looked up once again and saw that the clouds were getting closer as well as thicker. "I never really understood why we all targeted you though; I guess it's because you're new, but that doesn't really excuse things."

"Don't you worry about it; I've been through worse than that. Anyways, I have to get back inside; my employer will get so mad at me if I take any longer." Rian finally got up and stretched before she started to walk towards the house and just a second later she heard him getting up too. Feeling him walking behind her, she turned around and stared at him for a moment; he also stopped and looked back at her, apparently clueless as to why she had stopped in the first place. "Are you going to stop bothering me for real?"

"I will, but time to time, Rian; give time to time. Oh, I almost forgot, here you go," Jungkook said, before getting something out of his pocket. He took out her glasses, slightly dirty, and gave them to her with a smirk. "I was going to leave them in your locker tomorrow but this is better I suppose. You don't need them though, you look way better without them."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, finally a new update! I'm really sorry it took so long to update again, I've been through some problems with my computer and I couldn't really write with my father's one, and I was also busy with my dance group (we're debuting on Sunday, there's a lot of pressure around), but I promise that I'll make sure that it doesn't happen again, or that if it does I'm able to update often. Anyways, I still have two-three more requests to go through, so keep an eye out for those! I hope you guys liked it and thank you so much for 23.1k+ reads! ♥