Chapter 20

A/N: chapter 20 is all yours!! :) also 20 chapters!? Thank you for reading my silly little story, I'll be forever grateful for all your support and love. And don't worry, I'll make sure to reward you for this slow burn *wink wink*

***

"You did great today. Taking that MRI was a great call," Dr. Malik said once we reached the nurse station to fill out the charts.

I finished writing down my patient's chart and shut it close, handing it over to the nurse. "Thanks, is there anything else I can do?"

"Your shift was over two hours ago," he smiled and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Just go. I heard the kids were going to Junkies for drinks. You should join them."

Smiling, I nodded and waved him goodbye. Despite the last two days, this shift was a great way to finish my week. We had a patient who was dealing with a severe headache and sometimes suffered from loss of vision. Immediately I thought of a brain tumor, so I suggested running an MRI. The bad news was that I was right. The good news was that, after a biopsy, we realized it was benign so we booked a brain surgery that would land in Dr. Tomlinson's hands in a matter of days.

When I reached the empty locker room, I pulled out my stuff to get ready. Just as I was peeling my scrubs off my body, my phone pinged with a text message.

I fished it out of my pants and checked the screen.

Harry: where are you?

Rolling my eyes, I decided not to answer and put my phone away, not before muting it. I knew I'd be sharing another shift with him two weeks from now on, and I wouldn't be able to avoid him. But for now, it was easier to just ignore him.

When I got to put my street clothes on, I checked the time, finding another text message from Harry. Scratch that, make it three.

Harry: answer the phone, Madelyn.

Harry: I just spoke to Dr. Malik. He said you left the oncology ward ten minutes ago.

Harry: where are you?

Annoyed, I typed back an answer, hoping that would shut him up.

Me: out.

After that, I pocketed my phone, grabbed my backpack, and left the hospital. The bar where the others were was just a couple of blocks from DeBakey's, so it took me three minutes to reach it.

The lights inside were dimly low, the chattering and the sound of marble balls from the pool tables hitting against each other filled the small space. Old Time Rock n Roll played in the background as I made a beeline toward the table where Easton, Allison, and Hunter were seated.

"Hi guys," I greeted each one of them and then sat down, checking out the menu. "Where's André?"

"Babysitting his little niece," Easton replied.

"What a way to ruin our first weekend off," Hunter chuckled, shaking his head and taking a sip of his beer bottle.

"I think it's sweet," Allison chimed in with a small shrug, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

I eyed her cautiously, my gaze going to her neck, her hands, her wrists. Nothing seemed out of the blue as she made small talk with Hunter, her cheeks blushing from time to time. Ever since I first had the suspicion she was being abused, I couldn't stop myself from looking out for physical injuries. Even though she didn't show them, the way she'd been quieter than before and jumpier toward anyone who got any closer made me think I was right.