Chapter 8

The first thing I saw as I walked into the main cafeteria was André poking a chocolate muffin with a short pink candle.

"What's that for?" I asked once I was beside him with my hands hidden on my back.

He squinted his eyes and fixed his glasses on the bridge of his nose, making sure the candle was standing correctly before turning his gaze toward me.

"It's Allison's birthday." He answered with a small smile.

"Oh," of course I had no idea it was her birthday today, why would I? It's been barely a week since we've known each other.

The bigger question was, how did he know?

"How do you know?" I spoke out loud, genuinely curious.

"I did my research." He shrugged like it was the obvious answer. "I know all birthdays. Even yours."

Well, that's... not creepy at all.

"Why, you may be wondering?" he pressed his lips together in a smile, ignoring the way I was staring at him like there was an arm growing out of his stomach. "I like giving people surprises. Nothing is more gratifying than seeing the pure joy in their faces. That heart-warming feeling when you realize the people around you are thinking of you without even expecting it. And knowing Allison, she'd never reveal her birthday out of nowhere just because. Surprising her with an innocent birthday muffin will make her day better. Besides, this could help us with all the bonding."

Weirdly, I wasn't surprised. Since the day we met, André had shown that he was deeply interested in stuff no one normally would be. Like how the hospital was founded, how the departments were created, who started as the boss on each one of them, how long did it take to build the hospital, what were the reasons some healthcare workers got fired... It was like listening to a walking encyclopedia. The thing is, it wasn't just about the hospital. It was about every single thing; animals, weather, food, space... I was impressed by his intelligence and his big brain. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the highest score to exist on his MCAT.

"When's yours?" I started following him as soon as he began walking.

"I'll tell you if you promise me you're not one of those girls who are crazy about astrology and zodiac signs." He twisted his lips. "I don't like being judged by that."

"I don't even know mine, don't worry." I made sure I was ignorant about that topic and he cackled.

"September 10th."

"Noted. Now you go."

"Huh?"

"Ask me about my birthday." I skipped until I was in front of him, walking backward as we made our way to the changing room.

"I already know it, didn't you hear me?" he rolled his eyes and I shook my head.

"Yeah, but I want to tell you, so please, ask me."

"Fine," he sighed and took a deep breath. "When's your birthday?"

"January 1st." I was acting like I was proud of it and then placed myself beside him again, adding with sarcasm: "My parents had an amazing New Year's."

"Yikes," he sucked in a breath and I let out a laugh, remembering all the times my dad had joked that I ruined their New Year's party by suddenly deciding it was my time to get out of the womb.

"See? It's okay to ask people," I placed one of my arms around his shoulders, giving him a squeeze. All he did was laugh shyly.

We got into the room, where Hunter and Easton were getting ready for the day. Both of them looked questioningly at the muffin André was holding and he explained to them it was Allison's birthday and we all were going to sing happy birthday, whether we like it or not.