Chapter 18

Stepping into the main hall of the hospital after being three days unable to do my job really made me feel like I was being reborn again.

And the best part of this day that hadn't even begun yet? I get to assist Harry's aortic valve replacement.

Finally.

A ping echoed from the pocket of my coat as I made my way toward the locker room. I fished out my phone, seeing I got a text message from Harry.

Yes, we were now text buddies. How crazy was that?

After falling asleep on my couch, I had woken up alone with a blanket over my body and a note with Harry's number placed on my coffee table. It really hadn't been anything to write home about, just numbers written in his meticulous handwriting.

I refuse to reveal how I behaved afterward.

His text was simple, yet so Harry.

Harry: Meet me at the cafeteria when you're ready.

I sent him a thumbs-up emoji.

Pocketing my phone, I entered the hall where the locker room was and I saw Jasper and Carmen in the distance with their paramedic bags. They flashed me a warm smile when they noticed me.

"Hi, guys!" I greeted, too energetic for my liking. And I hadn't even had my cup of coffee yet.

Jasper noticed right away. "Someone's enthusiastic today."

"How are you feeling?" Carmen asked. "Jasper told me about your fainting."

"I've been great, thank you," I ordered my cheeks not to blush from the reminder of Harry's gentle touch when he tended my wound.

"What was that about?" he asked me, referring to the faint and I shrugged, trying to seem like it wasn't important.

"Hypoglycemic crisis," I lied nonchalantly. "Nothing to be worried about."

"I'm glad," Carmen smiled and I ignored the skeptical look Jasper was giving me.

Wanting to change topics, I asked. "Where are you heading out to?"

"House calls," she said with a sigh. "But we can't leave yet until Rachel's here, so we're loading up the ambo."

"That girl is always late," Jasper rolled his eyes, annoyed and I couldn't help the scoff leaving my mouth.

"I bet she is."

Carmen swatted Jasper's arm. "Remember our policy."

My eyes went back and forth between the twins. "What policy?"

"Do not speak ill of students with other people," Jasper revealed like it had been rehearsed multiple times and then turned to his twin. "But you can't deny that girl is pissing us off all the time."

"She's difficult to deal with, but still," she pointed at him with a warning finger. "Don't be mean."

Carmen was too precious for this world.

Breathing deeply, he patted her head. "You're just like Mom, it's annoying."

Carmen's face twisted with horror. "Please never say that again in your life or else..."

"Or else what? You gonna punch me with those tiny fists?"

As if asking for it, Carmen hit him square in the gut, knocking the air out of Jasper's lungs as he doubled over, his arms hugging his stomach.

"Damn, sis," he coughed and gave her an amused look. "Have you been working out?"

"Yeah, don't test me again," she proudly showed her flexed bicep and Jasper squeezed it with his thumb and index finger, feigning surprise.