Chapter 9

A/N: longest chapter so far! Almost 4.5k words! I'm putting the author's note first because I really don't know how to TW this chapter. All I gotta say is that it does have a slightly graphic description of injuries, blood, mentions of death... so read at your own risk! Also, wanted to let you guys know that the procedures/interventions mentioned in this chapter might not be 100% accurate! I based it on my classes I studied about emergencies, so yeah, maybe you'll get some knowledge after this big boy :)

I'm putting another A/N at the end, so happy reading!

***

There are three letters you have to keep in mind when you're attending a medical emergency.

A, B and C.

And yes, maybe it has to do with the alphabet you learned when you were a kid. However, in my world, it isn't used to sing along once you get the knowledge of it and it's definitely pointless to show your parents how smart you are by knowing a bunch of letters.

In my world, the world of medicine itself, it's used to save a patient's life in a fast and efficient way.

'A' stands for airway and it has to go first or the whole point of keeping a patient alive will be useless. If you've watched Grey's Anatomy, then you'd understand. Specifically talking about the episode where April Kepner did not check a woman's airway after being a victim of a fire and it ended up with the patient's death and April's suspension.

Keep the airway clear and you'll have the green light to carry on with the following letters.

Although they might be similar, 'B' as for breathing it's a different story. The body needs oxygen not only to breathe but to keep other vital organs functioning, such as the heart or the brain. No oxygen to the heart equals heart attack, and no oxygen to the brain equals stroke.

And last but not least, the letter C. Circulation. Fluids, labs, meds, I.Vs, blood pressure, hemorrhage control, and other interventions to stabilize the patient and preserve the function of any dying cell.

Unlike The Jackson Five's lyrics, this ABC ain't as easy as 1, 2, 3.

I didn't realize how big the emergency room was until I stepped in. Sure, I did come here on my first day, but I hadn't had the chance to examine the area since Dr. Styles was killing me with his gaze that day. Right now, all beds were empty, and right in the middle of the room, there were healthcare workers huddled in like a football team. I could easily recognize Dr. Payne's deep accent as he gave instructions, and beside him, there was a woman, who seemed to be one of the nurses in charge.

"The first ambo will arrive in five minutes," he said loud and clear as I placed myself next to Dr. Styles, Dr. Horan on his right. "And after that there's no stopping, no slacking around, and no bathroom break or whatever."