DRAY ~26

Two weeks later.

Sand. Sea. Water: I love the sea. I love water. I love the calmness that it brings me

And most of all, I love experiencing this with the people I love and those that love me.

It's been hell for the past few weeks. We all went through hell and back.

 I look at jace. He is sipping his feet in the water, his thoughts wondering. My eyes turn to look at the man beside me. The man is also looking at Jace.  Carter.

A week ago I felt like I lost him. and the whole week that followed when he was getting treated. But now he is fine. Healing well. I hope he is healing well both emotionally and physically.

About a few meters away, I see  a man who held us together. Who didn’t waver when all of us broke down and thought it could be the end. 

I see Steve walking. A dog beside him. our dog.

A smile forms on my face. Then in my heart. this is everything.

“You love him.” carter says

“I do.” I say.

My phone rings and I pick it up. My mother on the other end. “Hi mom.”

“Why is he not here not here yet.?” 

“mom come on,”

“Well what?”

“you will see him. I promise.” I say as Carter laughs beside me.

“hi mom,” carter shouts

“Hi son, I miss you.” 

“hey, use your own phone.” I say and steal it back from carter. I stand and walk aside. Leaving Carter seated. He can't run after me. Not yet. His wound hasn’t healed yet.

I wave at Jace and he nods. But Carter smiles and shakes his head. Jace, who was coming to his side, stops then turns back. 

And deep down, I wish for them.

“so tell me, how is Weston?” I told her about everything that happened. I needed to talk to her. I needed her to make everything better. And she did.

“He is healing. Still at the ICU. Not awake yet but alive.”

“That's all that matters.”

“That's all that matters.” I answer.

"So, what's next?" She asks. "You and Steve. What will you do?"

"I will stay with him. I will love him more each day. I will stand by him as he makes his dreams come true. One of his dreams died but he got up and found another. He found his calling. An architect who hasn't gone to school but knows what he is doing. Steve build homes, mom. Not empty houses, but homes. He puts his heart and. One by one, brick by brick. Wood by wood. He built our home. I could feel it, it felt home before it was complete. And when it was complete, it was our home.

I want to stay here mom  and build homes with him. A kind of home that we can all run back to. The kind of home that you build for us. And if one day we are lucky to have kids, I will teach them to be humble. To be special but not to hurt others in the process. I will teach them what you taught me mom, that it's okay to find yourself, but not to forget yourself in the process. And I will teach them to always come home when things get hard, I wont chase them but welcome them with both hands. It's called home because It is home for all of us. I will keep them safe when they feel like they have nothing to offer and I will feed them when they feel like they don’t deserve to eat. Like what you did to me mother, I will do to my kids. Because they will be at home.