38. Things To Come

These events take place approximately 24 hours after the outcome of Marshall's court hearing.

Maybe more, maybe less...

However long it takes to fly from Detroit to Saint-Louis, and for some shit to go down right after lol

Don't worry. The events that preceeded this are gonna be in the next chapter. Sometimes I just like to write stuff in this weird way, screwing up with the timelines in the story, to kind of give y'all a slight element of mystery lol

While 2nd guessing myself the whole time 🤣🤣🤣

Marshall's P.O.V.

I'm just about to go to sleep finally.

Proof and the rest of the guys kept me up for a long ass time, being all loud and shit, partying at my damn house. I hardly could even keep up with them, cause to be honest, my mind was elsewhere. This whole situation with the court, almost getting locked-up and losing everything I've worked so hard for, Melody coming through for the hearing, only to bounce on me again, once it was all said and done, just too much shit in one day, man.

I understand that the fellas wanted to throw me a party and I respect that, but I honestly just wanted to be left alone tonight. Couldn't be fucked with.

There were girls brought in too, which annoyed the fuck out of me. Whoever thought it was cool to bring one night stand type of hoes to my house anyway. The place I actually lay my head at at night?! Nah man, that shit wasn't cool.

Proof knows me better than everybody. So, at some point, he caught up to the fact that I ain't wanna be bothered and got everybody out of my crip. He bounced then too.

So now I'm finally to myself.

Kim is supposed to bring the girls in the morning tomorrow, so I better sleep whatever bullshit I've been through today off, so they don't pick up on how angry and whatever else it is I'm feeling, tomorrow. Kids are smart. A lot smarter than we give them credit for man. And they are sensitive. They pick up on things.

So yeah, like I said, I take my medicine, and let it mellow me out.

Then I collapse in my comfortable bed in front of the TV.

My cell phone starts to ring.

Fuck me!!

Who the fuck is this trying to blow-up my high?!

I decide to ignore it.

Until I lazily pick it up and glance at the caller ID briefly.

Why is she calling me now?

"Hello?" I answer the phone nonchalant as fuck, like I haven't even checked who is calling me, or like I don't have the number saved at all.

Cause I'm still pissed at her.

How could she just leave like that, again?!

I intend to just treat her coldly.

Until I hear her sobbing at the other end of the line.

"Marshall?" Melody says, barely even able to get the words out. "I'm sorry I'm calling you so late. I just... I don't know. I wanted to... Shit!!" She exclaims. "I don't know why I'm calling you, to be honest!"

I sit up abruptly in my bed.

"Mel, what's wrong with you? What happened?"

"I... I went back to Saint-Louis to break-up with him. Don't know why I wanted to do it in person and not on the phone, but I... I just..."

"Hold up, Mel. Is that why you went back there, to break-up..."

"Yeah, I did, Marshall. But don't let it get to your big ass head!! It had nothing to do with you, it just... it wasn't working out with me and him anymore, okay?!" She continues to try to convince me, but it's already too late.

I already am getting a big head over this. Was she gonna leave him for me?!

"But he... he..." She continues to speak, and I frown. Something about the tone of her voice bothers me.

She sounds scared.

Like genuinely fucking terrified, and my mind immediately goes to the worst places, my emotions quickly taking over.

"What the fuck did he do to you, Mel?" I ask through clenched teeth as I start to get out of bed. I have no idea where I would even go at this point.

She must have picked up on the edge in my voice, because she quickly says.

"Nothing!! He just... uh... I found out that he cheated on me, Marshall. That's why I'm so upset!"

I laugh quietly to myself.

"You are lying to me, baby," I say. "That's not why you sound like that. Tell me what the fuck he do to you, Mel. Right now. Did he hit you? Did he put his hands on you?!" I seethe in quiet rage.

"He didn't, Marshall," Melody sighs. Then she suddenly continues with an attitude. "And even if he did, what would even be a big deal to YOU anyway? Do you forget that you've done the same thing to me? What, it's only okay when you do it?!"

I feel so much shame and regret when she says that to me, that I immediately get angry, just to bury all those other feelings I have in me at the moment.

"Really, Mel?!" I exclaim defensively. "You are really gonna bring that shit up now?!"

"You know what, forget I even called you, Marshall. I don't know why I would..."

"Mel, wait!! Come back to Detroit, baby. I don't like the way you sound right now. At all. Get on the plane, and... Matter of fact, I'll fly you out, hold on. I'll get Paul to book..."

"No, Marshall. Like I said, I don't know why I even called you. Because I don't need to be anywhere near you right now."

"Mel, I swear to God, of you don't get on this plane, imma fly out there myself to get you."

"You can't do that, Marshall," she sighs. "You are on probation, remember? You can't leave Detroit unless it's work related. Or you are going to jail for violating your probation."

She's right. Of course, she's right.

But, just to he stubborn, I say to her.

"So? Maybe it IS work related. Maybe I've got a brand new song to record with Nelly, who knows."

"Marshall..."

Yeah, she's got me, and she knows it, and I feel so fucking helpless. No, I can't actually fly out there just like that and violate my probation, but it's literally driving me crazy, knowing that something is obviously wrong, that fucker Nelly did something to her, and I can't do shit about it!!

My daughters. I've got to think about my daughters. I can't fucking jeopardize losing them over doing something stupid again, but goddamn!!

"Mel. Mel, just please," I beg. "Get away from there. Whatever the fuck it is..."

"Marshall, I'm already at the airport," she sighs. "I am out of that situation. I shouldn't have called you, I guess. It was kind of an impulsive decision. I'm going back to New York now. I'm going home. And I'll stay there from now on. I never had any business messing with any of you. Not you, not Cornell, not anybody. I should've just stayed to myself."

"Mel, what are you talking about, baby?"

"Don't worry about it," she hangs up.