maybe we found love right where we are

Start from the beginning

"Thank you."

"Come here," Sam said before they all hugged, "Thank you. Oh, God, thank you."

And that was when they all noticed Iris's ring, and went on to congratulate her. And Ruby made a small comment that she knew that Mike was not her 'friend'.

———

In a back room, Winn looked over his design again, sighing to himself when James walked up to him, "Hey," he said and Winn also noticed that Iris was behind him.

Winn fiddled with the paper before he dropped it on the table. He then looked over at the two, "I gotta go," he said.

James grunted softly, knowing that's what his answer would be, while Iris smiled softly at him, "I've been...I've been searching for my calling, you know. This...This is it. I must save the future."

And then they all laughed, before staring at each other in nostalgia, "What about you?"

"I can't keep waiting on the world to change," James said, "My future's now."

Iris smiled at him before the two looked at her. She sighed, knowing she was going to absolutely miss these moments, the ones with her, James, and Winn. The human team.

"I'm going to the future with you," Iris said and they both looked at her confused. But then she showed them her engagement ring, and they stared at her shocked. Gasping, "Mon-El proposed..."

———

In another part of The DEO, Alex found J'onn sitting down on the floor, his eyes closed, meditating. She quietly came in front of him, sitting before him, staying there a moment before saying, "I don't know how much longer I can do this, J'onn," and he opened his eyes, attention gazed on her, "I put my life on the line every day. And every day, I run the risk of losing it. And I feel like I haven't even had the chance to really live it yet. I'm afraid that if I don't make a move soon, right, if I don't reach out and take hold of my future, of what my heart wants, then I'm never really gonna be happy. So, that said, I, uh...I wanna give notice. So that I can find my new beginning, and I can have a family of my own."

But J'onn shook his head, "You're a hero. It's in your blood. You can't resign...because I want to promote you," he said and Alex stared at him confused, "This year, I have had the most priceless gift. I found my father. I lived with him, I learned from him. He reminded me that the Martian way is to live amongst the people, and to help them. Not hiding behind walls, like I have been here, but with open hands and compassion."

"You're stepping down?" Alex asked.

"I am," J'onn said, "But I am not leaving you. I would never leave my family," he then took hold of her hands, "Alex..."

"Uh..."

"I want you to run this place," J'onn said and she stared at him shocked, "Be the director. With you in charge, I feel the DEO will stay on the right path to protecting this planet, and helping those who cannot help themselves. And being in charge, you won't have to put yourself in the field all day, risking your life. You don't have to deny any part of yourself to be complete. You can have a family. And you can be a mother. All on your own terms."

Alex looked completely shocked, not knowing what to say as J'onn got up from the ground. He then held out his hand for her, "Congratulations, Director," he said as she took it and pulled herself up.

"That's not how I saw this going," Alex said and J'onn laughed before the two hugged.