Chapter 14

"That was a mad stunt!" cried Raella, as we returned to the observation deck at the pinnacle of the Sun Palace.

"All in a day's work," said Mercury, squeezing her hand. "Though this day's work is far from done."

Tower by tower, the winged marauders stormed the ack emplacements with brutal precision. Fires burned throughout Rae City. Terrified citizens jammed the streets, jostling to reach the gates and escape into the countryside.

Timeon and Ormazander entered the observation deck, accompanied by fourteen wizards of lesser rank, a mix of Leaguers and members of Raella's court. Lord Hawkinstern led his military underlings from the room. The defense of the city was now in the hands of the wizards.

"You'll want to go below too," said Raella to the twins and me. "It will be safer."

"Begging Your Majesty's pardon, but if this doesn't work, is any place in Rae City safe?" I asked.

"No," she admitted.

"Then I'd rather be here."

"We'll stay too," said Sapphrina, clutching my arm. Rubis squeezed her sister's hand and nodded.

"As you will," said Raella.

I sat between the twins at the top of the stairs. The band of wizards gathered around the queen.

"Our danger is great," she said. "Our enemies are too numerous to count."

Timeon lifted his staff. "Let the number of our enemies be counted!" he said. Glowing red numerals appeared in the air beside him.

There were nine hundred ninety-nine winged marauders.

"Even so," said Raella, miffed that her rhetorical flourish had been deflated. "We face a great many foes, and our defenses are failing."

The number of winged marauders dropped by five as the surviving acks took their toll. But soon the last battery fell to the demons. Rae City's only remaining defenses were squads of archers, but they were scattered and ineffectual. The demons massed in the sky for their assault on the Sun Palace.

The queen's eyes shone. "I must now do what has not been done since the dawning days of this age. I must call upon Raelna's divine patron and protector, Bright Rae, Goddess of the Sun, to preserve us. If Rae City falls and Jason Cosmo is taken by the minions of the Dark Magic Society or the pawns of the Demon Lords who now beset us-whichever these winged marauders may be-then beauty and truth, hope and peace, life and liberty, will be forever lost, not only to the people of Raelna, but to all the Eleven Kingdoms of Arden."

"In other words," said Mercury. "This is very important."

"The ancient Rite of Summons demands my total concentration," said Raella. "It is up to you to hold back the demons until I complete it."

"I suggest the Cascading Calligraphy of Chaos," said Merc, stepping forward. "Are all familiar with that spell?" The other wizards nodded, some of them a bit hesitantly. Mercury noted their unease. "Don't worry. It's as easy as ABC."

"The difficulty," said Timeon, "lies not in casting the spell, but in maintaining it, which requires great stamina."

"Maintain it we must, until Raella petitions the goddess," said Merc. "After that it won't matter-we'll either be saved or dead." He pulled a handful of small brightly colored rods from under his cloak. "Everyone take a magic marker."

"Are these the scented variety?" asked Ormazander.

"No, and don't sniff them," warned Merc. "It's bad for you."