Chapter 11

"Since when does the Queen of Raelna bend knee to anyone?" demanded Mercury as we followed Raella down a long palace corridor. "Most especially a Darnkite peasant? No offense, Cosmo."

"None taken."

"What are you not telling me, Raella?"

"Patience, my love. All will be explained."

"I'm not noted for my patience."

"How well I know it."

Following the queen's astonishing act of obeisance, the royal court adjourned. While her courtiers gossiped about what they had just witnessed and what it might mean, Raella bade Mercury and me follow to her private chambers. The Lord Chamberlain's men, meantime, escorted Sapphrina and Rubis to their quarters.

"I deserve an explanation," said Merc.

"You shall have it anon," said Raella.

The round wooden door to the queen's private study was ornately carved with symbols both heraldic and mystical. Inlaid with gems and ivory, it had no apparent handle or latch, yet it opened smoothly with a wave of Raella's hand.

Within waited three men robed in the manner of wizards or sages. Mercury took them in with a sneer of contempt.

"Arkayne's blood! What are they doing here?"

Queen Raella met Mercury's anger with aplomb. "They are my guests. They wish to speak with you and Master Cosmo. Pray be seated, gentlemen."

Mercury glared at the trio. "I have no wish to speak to them."

"Please hear us out, Mercury Boltblaster," said a wizened little man with wispy white hair. He wore a plain grey robe and clutched a gnarled wooden staff. His voice quivered with age, but did not lack force. "And you, Master Cosmo." He bowed to me, as did his companions. "We have come here at great risk to meet you."

"I'm flattered," I said. "Who are you?"

"The League," said Merc, crossing his arms.

"Indeed," confirmed the old man. "We are all that remains of the High Council of the League of Benevolent Magic following the loss of several members to the assassins of the Dark Magic Society. I am Timeon. My companions are Votarius and Ormazander."

Votarius wore red and blue robes stitched with white stars. He was of middle age, with greying brown hair, a thin, hawkish face, and intense brown eyes. Ormazander was a blue skinned Cyrillan. He wore a feathered cap and numerous bead necklaces. His silk robes were green and yellow.

"I am honored to meet you," I said, ignoring Merc's snort of derision.

"The honor is ours," said Timeon. He cleared his throat. "We have searched for you, Jason Cosmo, since the Society began their massive manhunt more than a year ago. We are grateful to Lord Boltblaster for delivering you here safely."

"Which I would not have done had I known you vultures were waiting to pounce on him!" snapped Merc. Raella gave him a sharp look. Merc cursed and turned away.

"What does the League of Benevolent Magic want with me?" I asked. "I don't know anything about magic."

"You are the world's last hope," said Ormazander, giving me an odd look. 

"That's what He Who Sits On The Porch said."

"He Who Sits On The Porch?" said Votarius, leaning forward eagerly. "You saw him?"

"Yes."

"When? Where? You must tell me!" He turned to Ormazander with a wild gleam in his eye. "Do you see? This is incredible! The Rocking One himself!"