Chapter 5: How else could we be?

Are you dating Ji Chang-wook?

I don't know how long I was staring at my phone. I kept on re-reading Jin's message. I know the answer should be just 'Yes' or 'No'. But I couldn't  bring myself up in answering him.

I know I am overthinking. If I answer 'Yes', I know I will be creating a boundary that is not so much needed because I don't even know why Jin asked this. But that will be unfair to Wook because he doesn't know I will be dragging him in this lie. And if there's a need to keep up with this lie, there'll be tons of lies that will come after this.

If I answer 'No', would that mean I am announcing that I am available? Will it be better to say, 'No, I'm not interested in dating right now.' Would that be too cold? Will that put him off? How assuming am I that he's interested to know the answer because he wants to get back to me? 

Oh, Hae-rin, really? What are these thoughts? Why am I overanalyzing this? I'm getting crazy! 

I stared at my phone again. In the end I didn't reply anything at all.

-------

I couldn't believe how fast the days come and go. It's already weekend. And I  was looking forward to this day. Today, I decided to go out & shop. Yes, I'll be a normal,  young woman who will go around the mall, buy stuff she doesn't really need, eat 'till she gets bloated, & just have fun dating herself.

I wore my gingham smocked coordinates topped with my thin cardigan. I slipped on my flats & picked up the bag that I readied the night before. After a final look in the mirror,  I headed out of my apartment door. 

I actually don't know what to buy. Anything that will caught my eye, really. I went in and out of stores. Sometimes with a shopping bag in tow. When I saw the Louis Vuitton store, I went in and scan through the shelves. Two bags caught my attention. I was busy comparing them when I heard the staff acknowledging someone who entered the store. I quickly glanced because the store buzzed in excitement. I was surprised to see who arrived. 

"Hae-rin?" He looked equally shocked. "Wa, I didn't expect I will see you here."

"Likewise." I answered then faced the assistant who was helping me. "I'll get this one."

The assistant took the bag & proceeded to the counter to prepare my purchase.

"Hi Jin. Are you here to pick up your things?" I heard someone asked him.  

"Ye. Do you have them all?" He asked.

"Yes, they're complete. They're now being prepared.  Do you like something to drink?" 

I didn't hear what he answered because I got distracted when the assistant handed me my purchase. I thanked her and faced Jin.

"I'll get going." I bowed a little and headed out of the door.  

I was about to ride the escalator when I heard someone shout my name. I looked who's calling me. 

"Hae-rin, wait up!" Jin was half-running. In no time, he was already right in front of me.

"Hmm, do you need something?" I asked.

"Would you like to join me for lunch?" 

---------------

I wanna slap myself because I didn't know what came to me when I agreed to eat with him. But yeah, here I am, in front of him, enjoying this creamy pasta that I ordered. I'm not even sure what to talk about. He asks, I answer. 

"Where are the things you shopped?" I suddenly remembered. He was not bringing anything.

"Ah, I just asked them to send those in my house." He smiled then took a bite of his food. "I initially thought of that actually, but I wanted to get out today since we barely get free day."