Chapter 1: Young & Un-free

The sunlight was passing through my windows when I woke up. The place felt unfamiliar that an instant panic rose from my chest just the same time I realized I wasn't home. I run my hands through my hair & went near the window. 

I sighed when I saw the view. It's spectacular. Sun shining brightly, waves crashing down the shore, water  gleaming that it almost hurt my eyes. Finally, a vacation. A break!

I moved fast--freshened up, wore my one-piece suit and beach pants, topped with my bucket hat. Of course, let's not forget the sunglasses. I also readied my tote bag and put all my necessities inside. Alas, I'm ready to explore the island.

I went straight to the shore, passing through families, friends, partners, having the time of their lives. I was busy scanning through the rows of food stalls when I accidentally bumped into someone. 

"Mianheyo! Gwaenchanh-a?" Someone said while trying to help me get steady.

"Ye." I instinctively answered. When I looked up, a shocked expression was visible to the stranger's face. I'm right, he's a Korean.

"Dangsin-eun naleul ihaeabnikka? Y-you understand? You Korean?" He spoke in English, evident that he's not confident using the language.

"Ye." I shortly replied, smiled a bit and was about to walk away when he grabbed my elbow.

"I'm sorry. But I'm here and nothing to do. Are you alone? Can we hang out and eat breakfast?" 

You were perplexed by his actions. He's technically a stranger but looking at his face, he looked like a lost puppy that you want to say 'yes'.

"Aren't you with your friends? Girlfriend? Family?" 

"My parents are doing island tour again. We did it yesterday so I didn't go. My brother is with his girlfriend. I don't want to be a third-wheel. And I don't have a girlfriend. Do you have? Boyfriend? I don't want to be in trouble."

I laughed at his last remark. I sighed and thought why not. I asked for this break to do the unexpected things. Hanging out with a stranger is an adventure itself, so okay! He looked harmless, too.

"Fine, let's go. Let's eat breakfast. I'm dying to try that stall." I pointed at a food stall near us.

We went inside and found our table. A waitress immediately went to us & got our order. She was awkwardly gawking at the man in front of me. I couldn't blame her. He looks like a K-Drama actor. 

After the waitress got our order, the man faced me &  smiled. I laughed a bit at his expression while removing my bucket hat and sunglasses. He frozed.

"We're here, going to eat together, but we still don't know each other's name. Hi, I'm Hae-rin." I introduced myself & extended my hand.

"Hi, I'm Jin." He cleared his throat and shook my hands. "Wa, geunyeoneun yeppeuda!" He whispered but I still caught it.

"Thanks!" I answered grinning. His ears turned red that I can't help but giggle. "So, are you here for a vacation? Until when are you going to be here?"

"We're here for 2 days already. We will go home day after tomorrow. It's summer so my parents thought of going here. Their friends told them it was nice. It's true. The island is pretty. How about you?"

"I just came last night but will go home tomorrow evening. It's a quick break. I have school on Monday." I supplied. The waitress came in and gave our drinks. I sipped on it, it's refreshing. He did the same.

"Wow, this tastes nice." He sipped more. "So you're still a student, too. Here? What are you taking?"

"Too? So you're still a Uni student? Yes, I'm taking up Architecture in Manila. How about you?"

"Yes, I'm taking up Film & Visual Arts." He smiled. His eyes lit up when the food was served. The rice was steaming hot and it looked delicious. "Let's eat!"

We ate silently for a good while, smiling at each other whenever we catch each other's eyes. 

"Wa, so full!" He exclaimed while rubbing his belly. We're now walking out of the store after a short debacle  on who's gonna pay. In the end, he gave in to split the bill.

"How do you like the food here in the Philippines? Is Boracay the only place you visit here?" I asked while we're walking along the shore. 

"Ye. It's my first time and we didn't see other places yet. Maybe next time. The food is great. I love eating so I'm always open to trying new food. So far, I like what I ate." He chuckled. 

"That's nice." I said.

"So you've been here since...? You said you're a Korean. How come you're studying here?" 

"My father is half Korean, half Filipino. His mother, my grandmother, is a Filipino.  Father is the only one who can manage the family business so naturally, we have to live here. I was here since I was a baby. Born in Korea, though. My parents met there. So we always visit Seoul whenever Father had to do some business there." I shared. Korea is home the same way the Philippines is.

"So you can speak the language here too?"

"Oo naman. Dapat!" I laughed at his confused expression. "That's 'Yes, of course.  I should.' in Filipino."

"Ohhh, joh-ayo!" He nodded. "Where do you go now? Can I still tag along?"

"I'm planning on going an island tour. But you said you already did it, so..."

"I can join you!" He quickly said. I chuckled at his enthusiasm.

"Okay, okay!" 

We went to a stall & availed the island tour activity. We didn't have anyone else in the boat so we were talking freely throughout the ride. I didn't notice that he was bringing a camera. He took endless photos of the scenery and of us goofing around the islands. We also went snorkeling and we randomly promised to scuba dive the next time. If that is even possible.

It was surprisingly a good day. I realized it wasn't so bad to meet & hang out with a stranger. 

He felt familiar and warm. That's the first time I felt like this. It took a lot of things off my mind. At least for now, everything's well.