Chapter 24

The day for Ingrid's 16th birthday had finally come around, Ingrid had opened Robin's gift first. It was a coffin, a jewelry box. In the middle was a vampiric ballerina with an apple in her hand, dancing to haunting ballerina music.

"Happy birthday, Ingrid!" Robin wished her. 

"Robin, it's perfect," Ingrid complimented as she looked at her gift in awe. Robin leaned in for a kiss. "Unlike you." She closed the music box. "Next!"

"Happy birthday, Ingrid," Alice wished as she put her gift on the table. 

Ingrid opened the gift, inside were jewelry, gothic rings, chokers, and bracelets. "These are beautiful." She picked up the earrings. It was the star alignment of her birthday, with red gems representing the stars. 

"Happy birthday, sis," Vlad wished as he pulled out his gift.

She opened her gift; it was a book. "Peace, Love, and Transylvania: How to Be a Happy Blood-Free Vampire."

"Oh, you haven't read it already, have you?" Vlad asked. Ingrid stared at the book till it caught on fire, then threw it to the side. Vlad let out a sigh. "Don't worry, I kept the receipt."

Thunder clapped as Count entered the room. "Presents?" He picked up a box; he gasped at the table. "Oh, the un-mortification!" He went to his son. "Vladdy, I've forgotten your birthday."

"My birthday!" Ingrid corrected. "My sixteenth birthday."

"Oh, nonsense," Count denied. "If it was, the castle bell would be tolling to summon you for your vampire transformation." The castle bell began to toll. "I can't hear anything at all, can you?" The castle was shaking. "All right, so it's Ingrid's special day!" The castle bell stopped going off. He held out a toothbrush. "Here, have a vintage fang brush."

Ingrid took it. "Is that it?"

"Well, it's more than you got from your mother," Count pointed out as Ingrid threw the brush on the table. "I see she couldn't even be bothered to show up."

Thunder clapped, then looked over to see Magda gliding into the room. "Happy birthday, darling."

"Mum!" Ingrid lit up, she ran over as Renfield wheeled in a gift. She tore off the wrapping; it was a coffin, and on the front was Ingrid looking deadly gorgeous. 

"That's so pretty," Alice complimented. 

Ingrid turned to her mom. "My first coffin!"

"Just a little something from Patrick and me," Magda said. Ingrid made a face at Count.

"That's right, just waltz in and steal all the glory!" Count scolded as he walked over. He pointed a finger at Magda. "Where were you when their nappies needed changing?"

"Out," Magda answered. "Drinking blood with you."

"Exactly!" Count shouted. " A shamefully irresponsible mother! Whereas I have done everything I could for this girl." Ingrid looked at her dad in disbelief. 

"So you've organized her coming of rage party?" Magda asked. 

"Coming of rage?" Alice asked looking at Vlad.

"When a girl vampire turns 16," Vlad answered.

"Oh, so like a sweet 16," Alice gathered.

"No one gets bitten at those," Robin pointed out, Vlad and Alice looked at him.

"You have laid on someone to bite?" Magda asked. 

"Of course," Count confirmed; he looked over at the others in a panic. "Robin! What are you doing this evening?"