❦𝑶𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒂 𝒏𝒖𝒊𝒔𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆❦

484 words                                                                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sachiko?" you said softly, speaking with deference to the quiet of the dark street the two of you were walking down, peeking up at her contemplative face shyly, "A-are you still angry?"

The question hurt to ask, but it was the only conclusion Sachiko's behavior had brought you to. For most of the night, her cat like eyes had been dark red and her expression sinister and unreadable, staying silent no matter how you tried to prompt him to engage.

Hearing your words, Sachiko looked down at you, her expression remaining menacing.

"I'm not angry," she said, sighing after a moment and looking back forward, "I should have expected this, being gone so often... No," Sachiko's mouth turned down slightly, a pout in profile, "I knew this would happen. Rather, I didn't consider how I would react."

"React to what?" you asked, only more confused after her enigmatic explanation. It seemed she wasn't done, however, continuing on almost as if speaking to herself.

"It's only natural that others would covet something valuable, but to see them behave in such a blatant and obvious way... " Sachiko sighed again, dark eyes turning back down to meet your puzzled expression. Her lips quirked up at seeing it, a fond look that gave your heavy heart some hope, "Are they aware of your true value? Could they possibly appraise that with their crude comments and lecherous eyes?"

You blinked, caught between flattered and shocked.

"Sachiko...." you began hesitantly, "Are you... Jealous?" It sounded silly even to you.

"Jealous..." Sachiko repeated, as if tasting the word, "That's not quite right... I don't like the idea that they look at you without knowing to whom you belong. Precious things are usually tagged or marked in some way to denote ownership, but you..." she looked back down at you, thinking.

You froze under the gaze, your steps stopping and stomach twisting strangely. Sachiko stopped, too, turning with a questioning look.

"Ownership?" you asked, trying to suspend your discomfort and remain calm as you met her eyes, which were obscured and darkened by the blanket of shadow that covered the places between street lamps. Sachiko made a small sound of surprise, as if your reaction was odd.

She paused, standing still for a moment and considering her words before taking a step to you. Close, but not touching. Not quite.

"I trust that you're loyal to me, am I wrong in that my dear?" Sachiko asked softly, her expression indecipherable in the dark. Your eyebrows furrowed, a lump forming in your throat as you were caught between reassuring her of your loyalty and disagreeing with those uncomfortably possessive words.

"No," you finally relented, "But-"

"Will you prove that to me?" Sachiko asked, interrupting you neatly.

"Prove my loyalty?" you asked, voice raised with emotion. Sachiko's warm hand rose, touching your cheek gently, comfortingly.

"If I branded you as mine," she told you seriously, running her thumb across your face sweetly, "Other people wouldn't be such a nuisance."