I ran my hands through my hair. This was hopeless. Who am I to even think about crossing Dr. Richard Grant, founder, and CEO of C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories. I saw how many hired men he had, and experienced first-hand how he controlled and manipulated people. With Flip as an example, it was clear what would happen to anyone who disobeyed Dr. Grant. Based on everything I had seen, I was beginning to question if Flip was truly gone as Noah had said, and not just from the compound, but from the land of the living.

The regret I felt was like a knife, carving itself deeper through my chest every time I thought of my actions the day prior. It was so painful, far more painful than the physical pain of my body. So, I chose to focus on that instead.

Shifting again, I placed my feet on the floor beside my bed and began to stand. My head spun as I rose, and I had to wait until the room stopped spinning before finally standing straight. Once I was up, I looked around my room for my phone.

I found it on my bedside table, and I frowned.

It was on the beach with my shoes last I recalled, so Dr. Grant's men most likely had it the whole time I was out in the water with the creature. Which meant they probably looked through it as well.

With a sigh, I walked over and picked up my phone, turning on the screen. My eyes widened when I saw that it was actually just past noon on Sunday, not Saturday. That meant that I had slept all through Saturday completely. Opening my phone, I also saw that I had four missed calls from my father. Of course, he must be worried. I told him I would call him this weekend.

Scrolling through my contacts, I pressed on my father's number and it dialed. The phone only rang twice.

"Hello." My father's voice sounded from the other end. It was slightly muffled by the background noise of wherever he was, but recognizable nonetheless.

"Hey Dad." I said, my voice sounding weak and tired. Fitting of how I felt.

"Lani! You had me worried, why didn't you answer my calls?" My father rushed, his voice was clearly worried.

I closed my eyes, "I'm sorry, I was just busy. I didn't mean to worry you."

My father was silent a moment before responding slowly, "Are you alright, kaikamahine? You don't sound like yourself."

"I'm fine, just tired." Which wasn't untrue. The tired part at least.

My father sighed, "I told you to call me every weekend you're there. You know I worry..."

"I know, something just came up, that's all." I lied, not liking how easily it rolled off my tongue.

"You were supposed to tell me about your new job. How is everything in Monterey?"

I sucked in a breath. What was I supposed to say?

Hey dad, turns out my internship job was actually just the ploy of a psychopathic mad scientist who went against the Board of Science, modern law, and morals to create and capture some half man half fish creature who he will most likely torture...

Yeah, definitely believable.

"It's fine, you know, just boring intern stuff. Getting everyone coffee and all that." I lied again.

I could hear my Dad sigh through the phone, "I'm sorry Lani, I'm sure you'll be more involved eventually.."

"Yeah, you're right." If only he knew how involved I actually was...I thought wryly.

"You know, it took your mother a whole year just to be able to learn how to stand on a surfboard." My father said with a slight chuckle, no doubt picturing those moments with my mother all those years ago. I stayed silent as I tried to picture them too.

My father continued, "I'm just saying...don't be too down on yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere."

I let out a breath, "I know."

"Just make sure you don't give up. Just because things are hard now, doesn't mean that it will stay that way forever. Like the tide, things change." My father added, making me pause. Maybe he didn't know exactly what was going on, but he knew me well enough to realize that I was not okay. And he was offering me advice, like any good father would without prying for information. This made me smile, for the first time in a while.

"I promise, I won't give up." I said, sounding more like myself.

I could tell my father was smiling now as he spoke, "You're so much like your mother Leilani. She would be proud of everything you have done."

"I miss her." I said softly, placing my hand on the pearl that rested on my neck. My chest ached at the thought of my mother and what she could possibly think of me right now. Whatever it was, I was sure she wouldn't be proud of what I had done these past few days.

"I do too." My father admitted, just before loud voices began to sound in the background.

My father cursed under his breath, "I have to go Lani, but remember we're here for you. I know it's hard being here, after your mother and all...But you have family here in Oahu, and you're welcome back anytime. No matter what." He said finally.

"Thank you, I love you."

"Love you too."

With that, I hung up the phone. With my father's words ringing in my ears, I walked over and picked up my access badge. Just because things seemed impossible right now, didn't mean I could just give up and mope around. That's not what my mother raised me to do. I was raised to take risks, and stand up for myself, not wait on the sidelines of tragedy.

I knew what I had to do to make this right, and I would be damned if I failed.