46. The Escape

Everyone piled back into the van, leaving the wreckage smouldering behind them. You pulled the van door shut as it started to rumble along the gravel track, watching the limp corpses slowly shrink into the distance.

You sighed, sinking back onto the bench. It was starting to getting to be quite a squeeze now that there were four of you crammed into the back.

Mike was sat cradling El in the corner whilst Will watched awkwardly. Something was different about him. You couldn't tell what it was, but he seemed more anxious and a little agitated. You felt bad.

The van juttered as Johnathan switched the gears, allowing the vehicle to speed up further, dust flying from its rear tires.

"We need to get to Hawkins."

Eleven spoke up, her voice urgent and her eyes wide.

"I know," Mike reassured her, his hand resting on hers, "And we will."

"Hey," You leant forwards, grabbing Eleven's attention, "You know, first we need to get you somewhere safe, there's gonna be people behind us."

"No, Y/n, we need to get to Hawkins tonight." Eleven pushed.

"We'll never make it! That's 2,000 miles!" Johnathan yelled from the front, his eyes not veering from the road.

"We need to find a way." Eleven pleaded, wiping the dried blood from her nose, "If we don't, they're going to die."

"Who's going to die?" Will's voice was shaky, "El, who's going to die?"

"Who do you think, Will?" Mike snapped back.

Will looked hurt.

If Will really did like Mike in that way, like you'd suspected for a short while, then you wouldn't be able to imagine the pain he'd be in right then.

But, you couldn't tell.

You still couldn't tell.

It was tearing you up inside now.

You liked Will. You really did. You just couldn't tell if he really did like you back. And what was going on with him and Mike? Was he gay? How could he be?

One moment he was kind, nice and smiling, the other he was all over Mike. Hell, he even made that bloody painting for him...

You sighed, knowing it was selfish to be worrying about things like that when..
a) Jane and Will's friends might be DYING in Hawkins right now
b) The mindflayer might do anything to Will at any given moment and you were the only person who knew
c) The very fabric of reality could break any minute and your whole life could turn completely upside down

"Don't worry." Jonathan spoke again as the van swerved off of the gravel and back onto the main road, "I'll think of something."

Argyle was half asleep again, or maybe just high. Still, he made his contribution.

"Hey, dudes, why don't we stop at a phone and call them... check if they're okay?"

You snorted, "You know what, that's not actually a bad idea?"

"Why don't we stop at a gas station or something? Find a pay phone?" Will suggested, his hand resting on the back of Johnathan's seat.

"Alright, there's one just up the road," His brother answered, twisting the steering wheel, "We'll stop there."

You watched as you slowly drew closer to the gas station, it's neon lights standing out against the darkness of the night. A slight shiver went up your spine. It was getting colder.

You glanced towards Will, hoping that maybe when you stopped, you'd have a chance to talk to him about things and maybe finally figure out whether he liked you too.

A/n- Sorry for late updates I'll try better