CHAPTER 5

It's the afternoon by the time they arrive at the Matchmaker's house.

The journey was longer than Taehyung estimated and it took them twice as long because they were busy bickering about anything and everything on the way. It's surprising how much one can learn about a person walking through the wilderness.

They talked more about Layla and why she is such a pain in Taehyung's backside. Jungkook, not really knowing anything about Taehyung, was surprised to hear about all the conservation work and the fight for amendment in the local legislature to save the very area they have been knee-deep in.

Taehyung, on the other hand, was surprised and a little enchanted that Jungkook is a university lecturer. In English Literature.

It might seem impossible that the two of them would find anything to talk about but it just so happens that Jungkook's favourite subject in school was Biology. He was actually at two minds whether to go into science or arts. Arts won in the end but his curiosity about the outside world never disappeared -even if his skills to be in it, did.

Jungkook was pleased to find out that Taehyung is also a keen reader and a huge fan of jazz music. At least half of the journey was passed in an intense argument over which is better, classic or modern jazz. Needless to say, they never came to a mutual understanding but they were both happy to agree to disagree.

The longer they talked, the more things they found in common. If Jungkook's sense of humour was dry, Taehyung's was even drier.

When Taehyung let himself relax a little -which was easy under the hot summer sun while being surrounded by green and water- he smiled a lot and Jungkook was constantly winded as a result. Every time he looked at Taehyung and saw his gorgeous smile and the soft, dark locks shining, Jungkook felt a glowing warmth inside him.

Despite all expectations otherwise, there is nothing mysterious about the Matchmaker's house. It's a normal, if on the older side, traditional, one-story house made up mainly of wood and stone.

There are no other houses around. The edge of the property is surrounded by a flowery hedge with a bamboo forest behind it and water to the side of it. The dark water not too far away somehow suits the timeless buildings.

The Matchmaker could not have chosen a more perfect spot for his house.

"I think we have a family summer house somewhere around here." Jungkook speaks.

At the sight of the car, Jungkook gets excited for a brief moment before he remembers about the collapsed road -the very reason why they are here, damp and by now, smelly.

They knock on the door and have to wait for a long moment before someone comes to open it.

The man opening the door is old with a wrinkly face and grey, slightly wavy, short hair. Dressed all in white, he looks like he could be from a completely different era. His top crosses over his chest, tying to the side and the pant legs end halfway down his skinny calves. His bony toes poke out past the base of his wooden sandals. His scent is very simple and mellow, stone and water, fresh air. A Beta. His alert, dark eyes observe the two men in great detail before he speaks.

"You're too late." He turns and goes to close the door without another word.

"Oh wait, wait! There was a problem with the road, we took a b-boat and nearly drowned and there was a crocodile and, and..." Taehyung stutters and the man turns back to look at them. When Jungkook nods to verify the story, the Matchmaker smiles, showing a row of perfectly white, straight teeth.