CHAPTER 1

The second Taehyung's pencil touches paper, he already feels his tense muscles begin to relax. His long fingers weave into the dark curls at his nape, rubbing the tightness right at the hairline while the pencil scratches loosely over the rough surface.

With all the outside walls made mostly of glass, the garden room of the traditional Korean house is airy. The view outside is beautiful and green, dotted with colourful flowers of the front garden. It's Taehyung's favourite room in the family house because the light is perfect for drawing and painting.

 It's Taehyung's favourite room in the family house because the light is perfect for drawing and painting

Today, drawing doesn't come easily because Taehyung is tired and irritated from fighting all week. He is trying to push forward a conservation status for a wildlife area near the city. He's been promoting it for years but the fight seems hopeless because no one seems to consider it special enough to protect. Having conducted ecological research in the wetland for years, Taehyung knows the rare species of animals and plants found in the area and how they are of national importance.

But no one cares, because for some, the land is more valuable as a building site than a wildlife conservation area. There are already proposed development projects headed by The Talban Pack, waiting to be approved. The problem is that they usually get what they want, when they want it. The young Alpha leader Layla's inherited connections are simply not available to the Omega son of the small Kim Pack.

Another thing that enrages Taehyung is that he is never taken seriously, purely because of his Omega status. No matter how good he is at his job, no matter how confidently he speaks, no matter what evidence he presents, he might as well be talking to the wind when there is a room full of Alphas who decide the fate of the matter listening to him.

It's unfortunate for Taehyung that all his kind are generally considered mere commodities. Something to have as a pretty thing, a faithful and obedient companion whose sole focus is the Alpha they serve. Well, most people wouldn't consider it "serving" but most people don't see the situation as clearly as Taehyung does.

Taehyung will never be some Alpha's bitch. He'd rather be alone forever.

Speak of the devil and she shall appear.

"Hello my darling Taehyung! How lovely to see you." Layla's deceptively soft voice speaks from the door of the garden room. Her long hair is crimson red this time, cut with a harsh fringe that reaches down, gently shadowing her icy blue eyes.