page fourteen

November 26.

That November night, did Vincent turn eighteen. Age of a respected man.
A man who now owes his life to a woman; his wife.
His sons and daughters should be laughing as he slays their dragons and gives a gateway to their nightmares.

Peter, turning eighteen today. If his youth had been any better than his fathers, he'd be sad his field days were over. Instead, he was quite happy.
There sat the two boys at each end of an inglenook fireplace. They tossed a copper penny back and forth.
"I turn eighteen in a couple of a minutes." Spoke Peter as the penny danced in a circle on the ground. He turned his head, looking outside the window. Their Victorian aglow by the ardent flames casted by logs brought from the outside. Incandescent candlelight bedecked their oak-wood table. Outside, the world was caliginous. Inside the world was glowing white-hot.
"Forget not your youth, please, Peter."
Peter turned his head back to Vincent,
"You ask that for why?"
Vincent shook his head, "Though I am eighteen; a man now. May my youth be forgotten never and my sorrow forever."
Vincent got up and placed himself close to Peter,
"Don't be as young as a stupid wise man, don't be as old as a wise legend. Shall you not be too old as you are young, shall you not be too young as you are old. I want our youth to last as long as the Spring-heeled Jack haunts the streets of London."
"That's just a myth." Whispered Peter.
Vincent smiled, "Just like youth."