page twenty five

Afternoon,
Vincent attended the funeral, it was a beautiful haul if anything.
A viewing of such deception and such treachery. He wore all black just like others. But the color was raven to Vincent. A raven funeral like a cerise drunk.
Vincent stood patiently in line, he dug his fingernails into his palm as he reached Peter.
Something so forbidden, and so striking. Vincent bowed his head down to Peters ear,
"You've finally got what you wanted."
Peters eyes were closed, but Vincent knew people had seen them now. They'd done something so forbidden. Vincent placed his hand on top of Peters and looked up to the eyes of the saddened.
Vincent held Peters hand and didn't let go until everybody noticed.
Now they have been seen.

After the funeral,
Vincent wasn't seen for the whole day.
He was skipping rocks out onto a lake.
"He's really dead isn't he?" Vincent said out loud.
It was one of those kind of sentences, the one that stops you at mid-breath, the one that steals every word you were building up the courage to say. The one that silences everything about you. Those words killed him, and for once his eyes went blank, nothing could be read of him. He went quiet to where you could even hear the blood rushing through his veins. Everything seemed to suddenly go still. It was one of those moments where the world around you freezes and captures you of any movement you're able to make. Those moments that are like micro-blades of screams, but you can't hear them. Where everything seems incomprehensible and words are something very unprecedented. Maybe words weren't meant to be said in this moment. Maybe eyes were supposed to look absent and bleak. A moment where one breath is like the last wave an ocean carries. Where a lost soul was never supposed to be found. Where wind was a tad too thin and you were heard nevertheless. Where those daggers etched on your back were just to draw blood of grief you couldn't overcome.
Vincent looked at his reflection in the lake, his scarlet eyes now suddenly irradiant.
Peters raven had died, his soul never less quiet, and his history endlessly salient.