5: The Black Shadow

~After~

It was just past dark when I arrived home. Meaning that Elliot would be home sooner or later.

I rushed into my room, quickly shrugging off my cloak and hiding my daggers in their respective spots.

I rub off the black oil that I rub around my eyes to help conceal my identity.

Tracy stops at the door as I'm still in front of the mirror.

"Why are you so jittery?" She crosses her arms and leans on the door frame.

I don't answer.

My memory from earlier today still haunts me.

"Adalia? What happened out there?" She takes a step forward.

I look down at my hands, the oil spread over the tips of my fingers. Sticky and unpleasant. But it was the shaking of my hands that scared me.

Tracy was now in front of me. Her hands held out to hold mine.

I looked up at her, I could feel tears brimming my eyes, "I saw him today." I say simply.

She nods, understandingly, "You always see El when your out. Why is today different?"

I sigh, looking away to make saying this less difficult than it has to be.

"I saw him kill an innocent man," I swallow, "Under the kings orders."

~

Not even half an hour later, Elliot walks through the door.

He tosses his sword into the coat rack, sending it toppling over to the floor, a string of curses running from his mouth.

I got up from my bed and walked to the bedroom doorway, seeing him violently take off the rest of his gear.

Tracy came from the kitchen, "What's wrong with you?"

Elliot huffed, "That damn girl."

He started pacing around the room, leaving a mess after everything he touched.

"Who girl?" Tracy said, her accent thicker with the slight anger in her tone. Probably because she just finished cleaning and now he's making a mess.

"The Black Shadow. She was at the site today. Watching us." He shook his head, steam practically blowing from his ears. "She haunts me! Almost 3 years and I still haven't caught her!" He yells.

I snort, his anger only making my crusade even more amusing.

"Something funny?" He looks over at me, his eyes traveling over my smirking face.

I step from the doorway. As I walk past him, I pat his shoulder, reaching up to whisper in his ear, "Don't get your panties in a wad, now."

I see Tracy roll her eyes, a mumble something on the lines of "don't antagonize him." With a warning face.

I just smile as I walk past her and into the kitchen.

"Well," Tracy speaks up, "Any other news? Preferably good please."

I hear a chair being pulled out aggressively and a thud as Elliot plops himself in it.

A loud and dramatic sigh, "Yeah, actually."

I walk back out of the kitchen, a cold glass of water.

"The king got a letter, it was from Morvaria."

I stood a little more straight, "I thought Verubia didn't have routes to Morvaria since the war with Isman."

The war of Isman and Verubia, was 6 years ago. After Isman tried seizing our norther trading routes, we eventually broke off from northern trading.

It was hard the first few months, considering it's mostly cold down here and our winter months last longer than the spring and summer combined.

All contact with the Northern continent was completely cut off, and the southern continent had been an independent alliance ever since.

"Well, they started opening up their borders again, only to Morvaria, Tieriesas, and Culiwai.  We've started the docking process of a few shipments head there now."

"But the letter?" I ask.

He turns his head to look at me, "It was from King Elex. Demanding our return home."

I pause.

I think I stop breathing entirely.

"W-We're going home?" I say in nothing more than a whisper.

I can feel the tears brimming my eyes, my body starting to shake.

Elliot stands, slowly, he nods his head as a smile turns his frown up right. He walks toward me at a pace that shouldn't be described as walking.

His arms encase me fully and I sob into his chest, my arms going around his neck.

"We're going home, princess." He whispers in my ear.

I can't help but grin through my tears, any other expression would be wrong.

"When? When do we leave?" I pull back. "Oh I have to pack all of my stuff! I must say goodbye to Mr. Renson! And Kat'ia at the market!"

Elliot chuckled, "We leave in two days, you will have time to pack and say your goodbyes."

I felt like I was going to faint. From excitement possibly. But the world was spinning to fast, making my head feel light.

I froze for a few seconds, before Tracy came over and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Sit down, why don't you?" She smiled at me.

As I sat, I felt the numbness in my legs disappear and my mind come back to reality.

It was all real.

I'm going home.

Home.

Idk why this chapter took me 2 weeks to write

Enjoy loves!

-S 💞