20: It Will Rain

~Adalia~

"I haven't been in here in... years." Ezran says as he admires the high ceilings and shelves of the royal library. "What are we doing here anyways?"

I continue towards the back room that me and Alix were working out of the last few days, "We are here to talk to the Curator."

"We have a curator?" Raya chimes in.

"Always at your service, General!" Alix says as we enter the room. She bows to me and Ezran.

"A child?" Raya asks with a raised brow.

Alix laughs under her breath and goes to stand behind the desk, "Age is only a number, General. How may I be of service today?"

I chuckle lightly at the remark she made as I close the door and lock it. "First off, can you keep a secret?" I stop myself from laughing but you can hear the humor in my tone.

She scoffs, "Oh please, I already know about the Prince." She crosses her arms over her chest.

Both Ezran and Raya speak at the same time, "Know what?" Ezran sounded more nervous.

"You're the Ghost of Morvaria. It was actually very easy to figure out." She smiles proudly.

"How di-"

"Back to Ms. Alina's statement. I am only a child, and yet you old people seem to forget that our ears work just the same as yours."

"Alix, the notes?" I stop her before she can start arguing with Ezran. Which I know for a fact would happen.

She sighs and throws herself into the chair behind her. Flipping through a stack of documents to find the translations.

"The scriptures beneath Penrith are also connected to this 'Lady in a red coat.'" She says.

I had spoken to Alix before the ball yesterday and told her what I found. She said she would work on translations, which was exactly what she was doing while I was fighting for my life. Again.

"I went back into our records and found that the Prince was having an affair with her. His father disapproved of it and told him he would not be king if he married her. It was from the Tales of Late Morvaria."

"But those are only bed time stories."

"Right. And wrong. Not until three years after the book was made, the original author confessed that all the stories were true, and for it, he was executed for espionage." She frowns, "And get this. He was the cousin to king Elex I."

"Great, so how does all of this justify, Maisels death, the two men found dead, and everything else?" Raya asked, annoyed.

I walked over to Alix to look at her translations again. "First off, Maisel had it coming. And so did the two douchebags you found."

"Seriously?" Raya looked at me. I just shrugged. "Adalia do you not realize that you aren't charged with assault but murder!" She shouted.

"Whoaaa... murder?" Alix peeks her head up but I wave my hand for her to shut up.

I'm serious now, "I know what happened, Raya. And I did it to save myself."

"And what about Maisel?"

"Like I said, she had it coming."

She scoffs, "You know what, I'm done." She walks to the door but Ezran cuts her off.

"Listen." He orders. And to my surprise, she only rolled her eyes and turned to face me and Alix.

"Maisel told who the lady in the red coat was. But not only that, she is also your great great great great great great aunt, Ezran." I smile.