9: Morvaria

~before~

"So... a lady. Of a whole city!" I stood very still on the dias as Azaelea measured my waist.

"Oh please, it's nothing compared to princess. You could possibly rule the whole kingdom one day, and maybe after that, the whole northern continent." Raya leaned back on the sofa as she plucked another grape from the stem on the side table.

I watched her in the mirror when Azaelea made me turn around, "It won't happen, I'm sure of it. Ezran comes first!" I say proudly, despite the low octave of my voice now.

"Ezran has the brain the size of a pea, I'm sure he'd end up putting himself on his own deathbed before he can even touch the coronation crown."

I don't say anything because she is half right.

"Either way, what if you two get married?" She blurts.

"Wouldn't that be weird though? I mean, im not his blood, but we're practically siblings."

She shrugs and plays with a loose thread on the sofa, "It wouldn't, at least in my eyes, my cousin is betrothed to me, I've never met him though."

"I'm not blood, therefore, I would break the bloodline." This was true. In the royal houses, parents betrothed their children to distant relatives to keep the bloodline pure.

If I were to marry Ezran, the children I come to term with will only be half royal, a bastard. They would be bullied for their genetics.

This also raises the problem that Ezran is another decade from taking the throne, which means if his parents don't betroth him later, it will be sooner.

~after~

It wasn't how I remembered it.

None of it was.

The dock gates were now a brass house that spanned the size of three dock houses.

The roads were no longer the dusty gravel but now perfectly placed stone.

There were memorials painted on the side of the homes closest to us.

And everything looked new. Not like it had been sitting for 8 years.

"Ahh nothing like the fresh smell of a warm winter day." Elliot said. He came up behind me and hooked his arm around my shoulders, "Welcome home princess." He kissed my temple and smiled.

He walked off to the group of men who had started unloading the boat we were on. I assume to grab our crates and satchels.

When I turned to watch him, a spark of silver caught in my eye and I followed it to the source.

I saw on the roof of the brass house, a man in all black ducked low behind a column. He watched with his back to me, the chaos of the early morning rush.

He wore a mask as black as his clothing and it covered his entire face.

I could only tell it was a man, because his knees weren't bent as far as a woman can. And his fingers were slightly longer and thicker than a woman's usually are.

He caught my eye and held the stare for a second before he finally disappeared off into the shadows of the building.

I would have followed him, but that wasn't my mission.

"Come on!" Elliot said walking past me, "They sent us a carriage!"

I smiled as I watched my brother struggle to carry both of our crates and satchels in one go. He was lucky to make it to the trunk before he smashed his fingers together.

Somehow, the ride was smoother than I remember. I don't seem to know if it were because of the roads being stoned, or that I was just distracted by the streets of Mosea.

Every building had its own character, whether that being it was old and greenery spilling from its cracks, or it was spotless and the paint looking new.

"We're here." Elliot said. He was rather chipper. But after being away from home for almost a decade, I can understand.

The palace was somewhat how I remembered it. Though I don't remember much at all.

The limestone white wasn't as bright anymore. There were cracks in the foundation with vines and flowers growing all up the sides.

It had a peaceful look to it. Like it helped serve a kingdom for the last hundred years.

A frail woman came up to me. Her hands behind her back and what an apron around her waist.

"Princess Adalia!" She was very loud... "It is so wonderful to meet you! I've heard so much! My name is Winter, I am your lady in waiting. I have been ordered to escort you and Lord Elliot to the morning room for breakfast!" A fast talker too.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I think I can I handle that for you Winter!"

I turned at the sound of the voice that was so much older than I remember.

And right before my eyes, it was almost like I grew up in the blink of an eye.

I almost shed a tear as I walked closer to my old friend, whom I used to consider a sister, and wrapped my arms around her.

"I cannot believe it." She whispers, "I thought they were lying." She tightens her hold on me. I heard her sob a little, which was fitting since I was now crying also.

I pulled back to see her clearly. "Raya Alina." I say with a smile and tears on my face. I was in disbelief that she was even here because I thought she would be at home tending to her city.

"Adalia Ramírez!" She cried a laugh and pulled me into another hug. "Your alive."

I was.

Somehow.

But I wasn't just "alive." I survived. A whole 8 years of shit. And I really couldn't wait to tell her.

"Well, look at you! Oh my god Ezran is going to be so excited when he sees you!"

"He doesn't know im back?" I look at her confused.

She shakes her head, "Oh he knows. The news of your arrival spread around the city two days ago." She smiled, "But he Can wait, and has too. Right now, I have orders to bring you two to see the king and queen."

Enjoy loves!

Enjoy loves!

-S 💞