Chapter One

"This mission takes top priority, so cancel your plans. We leave first thing tomorrow-"

Bucky's phone buzzed. He checked it as Tony Stark continued explaining the mission.

"-so everyone better be on the Quinjet by 8am... Bucky, are you listening?" Tony asked.

"Yeah... gotta go" he responded.

"Excuse me?"

"I have something I need to take care of."

"Which is?"

"Doesn't matter."

"If it doesn't matter, you don't really need to go. So sit your ass back down, Barnes."

Bucky glanced at Steve, who nodded knowingly.

"Tony, let him go. Bucky, will you be coming on the mission tomorrow?"

"I don't know" Bucky admitted.

"Woah, woah, woah" Tony objected. "What could possibly be more important than the mission? Than your job?"

"You don't need to know that."

"Yes I do. I'm your boss."

"No you're not. Steve is. Steve said I can go" Bucky stood up and walked out.

Tony crossed his arms and leaned across the table towards Steve. "Are you kidding me right now?"

"He had something he needed to do."

"We're in the middle of a meeting!"

"It was important."

"How do you know!"

"I just do. Don't worry about it, Tony."

"Fine. Whatever. If we fail this mission, I will blame both you and Barnes."

"I can live with that."

***

Bucky marched into the school. The receptionist pointed him in the direction of the principals office.

There was someone sitting on a chair by the door, arms folded across their chest, impatiently tapping their foot.

You stood up when you saw Bucky approaching. "Okay, before you get mad-"

"Zip it."

Bucky walked past and knocked on the door.

"Come in."

Bucky grabbed your shoulder and pushed you into the office.

"Mr Barnes" The principal stood from his chair and offered out his hand. "Thank you for coming. I'm Mr Morita, y/n's principal."

"Yeah, hi" Bucky shook his hand and took a seat. You sat next to him.

"So, are you y/n's father?"

"Brother."

The principal frowned and opened his mouth to question it but Bucky interrupted.

"So what'd she do now?"

"Y/n, would you like to explain?" Principal Morita faced you.

You embarrassedly sunk in your chair. You mumbled something so quietly, it was too indistinct for Bucky to understand.

"What?"

"I set fire to my chemistry teacher" you repeated.

"You what!"