Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

For a while, Luke and I just sat there, staring out at the sea, clutching each other’s hand. Then, Luke suggested we both go to dinner. I didn’t want it to end, and I told him that, too. He beamed.

“Well, then why don’t we meet back down here after the sing-along tonight?” He said, smiling his face off, as we both rose from the sand. I nodded, letting go of his hand.

 “I’ll see you then!” I said, as we both turned in opposite directions and walking away; Luke heading towards his cabin, me heading towards mine. But as the beach was leaving my earshot, I heard someone screaming, “Oh, my gods, thank you!”

 I started to beam, and I was so busy laughing with joy at the fact that I had that much of an impact on someone, that I didn’t notice where I was walking. And, in a spazzy moment, I bumped into someone.

 “Oh, my gods, sorry!” I said, as I got up and turned to help the other person. But then I saw who it was.

Dominic.

And he looked MAD. I almost cowered in front of him. I could see now why his father was Ares.

 He was positively the scariest person when he wanted to be. His mouth was back in a sneer, his eyebrows pulled so close together you’d think he only had one. He was glaring at me. I didn’t like the feeling.

 “Did you have fun on your little date, Violet?” He spat. I wanted to speak, but my voice had abandoned me and run for the hills.

 “I-I…”

 “That’s what I thought. When exactly did you plan on telling the rest of us?”

 “I- What? The rest of you? What are you talking about?”

 Now it was Dominic’s turn to look scared.

 “L-Look, I won’t tell if you don’t….” he said, before hurrying off.

 I watched him walk away, my shoulders sagging, but yet, still feeling eyes bore holes in my back. I looked around, but saw no body.

 Shrugging it off, I turned and started walking instead to the mess hall, think about what Dominic had meant by ‘the rest of us’…..When I ran into somebody else.

“Mother of the gods!”

I shrieked as I fell once again. I wasn’t expecting to bump into someone else- who does? I looked up at the person I’d hit. He stared back at me, wide-eyed.

“Um...I-I…” He stuttered, while I had to fight to keep from laughing. I didn’t want to be rude. I stood slowly, trying not to make any sudden movements. He just stared as if I had grown as extra head.

 “Are…are you alright, Tristan?” I asked, as Tristan continued to stare at me.

The sound of my voice seemed to snap him out of it. He shook his head and laughed, an easy smile appearing on his face.

 “Oh…gods, yeah I’m fine! Are you okay?” he asked, as I laughed.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Well, I think I should go…” I started, but he interrupted me, his eyebrows furrowing.

“I’m sorry…did you call me ‘Tristan’?” He asked.

Confused, I said, “Uh…yeah…That is your name, right?”

He laughed, his brown eyes sparkling. “Well, it would be if I was my twin brother,” he said, extending a hand, “Hello, I’m Darren.”

 As I took his hand with my right one, my left one slapped my forehead.