Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

The amount of arrows in the leather quiver strapped around my torso was getting smaller and smaller. I have to say, I was pretty good at archery. I shut one eye and focused the other on the target. I drew the lethal arrow back and with no sound at all, the dummy standing 30 feet from me had a black arrow protruding from its chest.

 Devin had been watching me the whole time. I could tell by the way my skin was crawling. Every time my skin crawled, I knew there was a pair of eyes somewhere that were watching me.

I turned to look at him. He saw me looking, and looked away too slowly. He must’ve realized that I knew he’d been watching me, as he gave me a forced smile and wave. I nodded back to him. There were the tiniest hints of tears from his chocolate brown eyes, streaking down his tan cheeks. His eyes were distant for a moment, as if remembering a memory from his past- a look I had seen on too many people’s faces lately.

 As he turned away to practice sparring with Percy, who had also been watching me, although I didn’t think for the same reasons, Silena walked up to me. Their quivers were nearly empty as well, though they looked like they maybe had a few more than mine.

“Violet, I…I really should’ve warned you…” Silena said slowly, patting me on the shoulder as I watched Devin and Percy spar.

“Warned me about what? Why in the name of the gods Devin is looking at me like I’m a ghost from his past? Why he looks like he’s crying? And why he stiffened up when I said I was going to try archery?” I said, turning to face her, my features contorted in barely controlled rage. I hated not knowing. I felt helpless. If there was a problem…I couldn’t do anything about it because everyone was refusing to tell me anything.

Silena’s face fell. “Violet…This Camp isn’t just about training heroes for survival. There’s a lot more history than you think here. Devin…Dominic and Luke…they’re only part of it.”

I sighed, trying my hardest to not break my bow over my own head in frustration.

“And now you’re going to tell me ‘It’s not my story to tell. If they want to tell you, they will. Just let it go’,” I said angrily. Silena smiled sadly.

“Took the words quite literally out of my mouth.”

“I was quoting you.”

“I know,” she said, running a nervous hand up and down her bow. “But seriously, Vi. Sometimes, there are people with memories they don’t want to revisit. And when they try to forget, someone comes along and brings the pain and the memories right back, just by being there, just by doing the littlest possible things.”

Okay. Obviously Silena was trying to clue me in on what exactly Devin’s issue was without actually telling me. But, out of anger, like the stubborn person I am, I played dumb.

It wasn’t hard.

I stared at her for a moment, while she gave me a look like “Please, please, PLEASE understand what I just said”. Then I blinked and shook my head.

“Well, okay,” I said. Silena hung her head, her hand flying to her forehead.

“Nevermind, Vi. Just…Devin and Luke and Dominic have baggage okay? They have issues from the past. They’re all intertwined, somehow.”

“And you’re not going to explain it to me, are you?”

She held up her head to show me her playful smile. “Nope.”

“Didn’t think you would,” I said, turning quickly and firing an arrow. It hit the dummy right in the face.

When I turned back to Silena, she was gaping at me.

“Now I can see exactly why you remind Devin of her.”

“Her?” Silena’s eyes widened to the size of quarters. She slapped a hand over her mouth. “You heard nothing from me!” She turned and walked away as fast as her super model legs could carry her.

*****

Rose, Silena and I stayed at the arena practicing for about a half an hour more after my little chat with Silena. As we were setting our bows back on the rack, I saw out of the corner of my eye Devin talking to Percy.

 This time, there were definite signs of tear tracks on his face. His hands were flying through the air as he spoke hurriedly to Percy, whose sea green eyes were getting wider and wider with every word.

Like a total freaking drama queen, I groaned to myself and stalked out of the arena, without even waiting for Rose and Silena. I heard them calling after me, but I didn’t stop. I just had to keep walking.

I didn’t know where exactly I was going. I just put my brain on autopilot, just to see where I would end up.

*****

Figures, I would end up here.

I stood on a mix of sand a grass for a moment, just watching the sun reflect off the cerulean blue water, which crashed against the rocks, spraying my face lightly with little beads of water. The sugar-white sand shined in the sun, sparkling like every grain of it was either a precious jewel or magic powder.

Fireworks Beach.

I breathed in the ocean air, feeling my body relax. I walked over about ten paces before sitting down. I flopped down on my back, spread-eagled, breathing in deeply. I felt the warm sun shining down on my face, feeling a smile creep slowly up my cheeks. I closed my eyes, just letting myself relax in the warm June sun.

There was no one else here but me.

Well…so I thought.

His voice caught me off guard. I thought I was alone…

“Violet?”

I gasped, shooting into an upward position. A tall boy with cream colored skin and cocoa brown hair was looking over at me. His hands had burns on them, his arms and legs too, but that didn’t stop him from wearing khaki shorts and the orange Camp Half-Blood t-shirt.

He was one of the twins from Hephaestus, I knew that much. Maybe he was the one who always looked away whenever he knew I saw him looking at me.

“Um…how do you know my name?” I asked, standing up and crossing my arms over my chest.

A smirk forced its way upon his handsome face. “Oh, please, who doesn’t know you; Violet Wilde, the most dangerous daughter of Aphrodite around?”

“Oh. So I see you’ve been paying attention,” I said with a smile, walking a few paces closer to him. He smiled and nodded.

“How can I not? Rumors spread like wildfire around here. I would know. I’ve been here since I was eight. Haven’t been out into the real world since.” In sync, we sunk down to sit in the sand.

“Oh really? What are you fourt-”

“I’m fifteen,” he said, blushing when he realized he’d interrupted me. “Er…sorry.”

“It’s alright!” I said with a grin. “You know…I’ve been paying attention, too. You’re a son of Hephaestus, right? And you have a twin brother?”

He nodded, rubbing his burns. “Yup. And my brother’s name is Darren.”

I raised an eyebrow. “And what’s your name?”

“Tristan Grove.”

Picture of Tristan on the side.