7: Priorities

SOOKIE

I sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office, cell phone in hand, making an appointment to have a buyer come to check out the Galaxie that was going to be done by the end of the day. The faster we could get it off the lot, the better. Besides, a friend of my father's was always in the market for a nice Ford restoration. Eric was sitting across from me a few seats down but I wasn't paying attention to him. My earplugs were in and I had Merle Haggard playing at a reasonable level.

My buyer agreed to come take a look at the car the next day. I was giving him first dibs. If he wasn't interested, the car was going on our website. Tray was already planning out what to do with the Coupe, but I had a feeling that was going to be more of a pet project for him. I was waiting on his proposed budget for the repairs before we got started. If we didn't have a plan going in, he would go nuts and spend every penny I had on every cool gadget he could cram into each build. I wanted the cars to be cool, but I also wanted them to be reasonably priced when it came time to sell.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. I didn't pay it any mind until that movement sat down in the chair next to mine. I didn't need to look up to know it was Eric that had parked his big butt next to mine.

I turned off my phone, however, because I didn't need him seeing my business.

"I think we need to talk about this," he said once I took my earbud out.

"Talk about what?" My mind was still on the Galaxie.

"The kids," he answered, giving me a strange look.

"What about them?" The less I had to talk to him the better.

"About how we're going to handle this and what conditions they'll get," he said. "I don't mind helping them out, but I want to make sure Madi gets a high school diploma and gets a job, at least."

"I'd like to see both of them finish high school, go to college, and be able to lead successful lives. If that means assisting with childcare costs, I'll do it. I have a guest house they can live in," I said.

"I can assist with childcare as well," he nodded. "I don't know how I feel about my daughter moving into a house of yours," he sighed. It made the most sense. "I want them to succeed, Sookie. I know there are going to be times when it's going to be hard on them, and I want you to know they have my support as well."

"You don't know how you feel about her moving into a house of mine?" What a dick. "Yeah, you're probably right to be worried. I'd make her clean my house so she'd have a bed to sleep in. I might even feed her once in a while."

"Not like that. You're... you and I have never been able to get along. How would you feel if your son moved into my house? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't feel good about that."

"If it was the best option, I'd deal with it." This whole thing wasn't about me.

"I'll talk to Madison about it," he said. "I just think you and I should be on the same page here."

"I don't think that's ever going to happen, Northman." That was wishful thinking if ever I heard it.

"I know that's not happening when it comes to business, but my children are a different story. I want what's best for her and if you can't come to an agreement, I don't know what to say."

"I don't want to agree on anything. I want to hear what their plans are before I go deciding their lives for them," I replied.

"I'm not saying I don't want to hear them out," he said. "Trying to talk to you was a stupid fucking idea. You're just going to twist everything I say anyway." He stood up to move back to the chair he'd been sitting in before.