Chapter Twenty One

A/N: Hey Y'all! Grad school is crazy but I'm hoping to get back into posting regularly! It's short, but hope you enjoy <3

Sang's POV

I look into the mirror, gazing at my finished makeup. I can hear the faint whispers of Gabriel cursing me for covering my natural beauty, but even he would approve of my finished look. We settled on red leather pants and a black halter top that strapped and curved around my breasts and torso. The rest of the top is a sheer material with matching shoulder-cut out sleeves. My hair is slicked back into a high ponytail; the length waterfalls down with the ends curled. Two pieces of hair frame my face; the dark shadow on my eyes allows my green irises to shine. The rich red on my lips calls for everyone's attention. I'd kiss myself if I could.

The inkling fear of another Volto mask encounter seeps back into my nerves as I look at myself. It's been radio silence for maybe a year, and yet, here he is again. The first time could have been dismissed as a fluke—a scare tactic at a haunted museum, but the costume shop couldn't have been a coincidence. The masks didn't match the displayed pieces, and they don't sell anything more than masquerade masks. I had called the shop after returning to my apartment, posing as a curious customer. The lady had been confused and asked if I called the right place until she saw the mannequins herself. She apologized for the 'mix-up' and reiterated that they don't sell them nor promote their costumes with the blank mask.

My phone ringing distracts me from my stupor. I refrain from rubbing my face at the stress. "Hello," I answer.

"Spitfire Baby! I'm ready," Kayli sings into the phone.

A smile cracks my lips, "Perfect. I'm on my way."

Grabbing my purse, I swing out of my apartment. I text the boys that I'm on my way to get Kayli and that we'll meet them there. Although I'm tense, I swing my keys around my finger, humming a tune of a song I can't remember the name of. I freeze at the sight of my car. My eyes lock on the Godforsaken mask that rests on my windshield. Anger flushes through me and I grab the plastic mask, tossing it in the back of my car before peeling out. I grip tightly to the steering wheel. My knuckles are white. My breathing is ragged, so I attempt the calming techniques I learned long ago.

Volto has never directly harmed me. It tends to be threats and efforts against my assignments. Outing me as undercover or informing my lead before I can get there. The threats and stalking are the worst of it though. Getting myself out of sticky situations is nothing, but not being able to confront my threat is what puts me on edge. They never leave any remnants for me to find them. The only safety I have is my digital security; they have yet to successfully infiltrate my firewalls. I chew on my lip as I consider the guys though. Corey and Victor are excellent; however, we know that I have more knowledge. If I'm going to spend my time with them, they need a security boost. I ponder whether I should inform them of the updates on their system or do it in secret. On one hand I don't want to inform them of Volto; on the other, I don't want to hide anything from them.

I let out a deep sigh as I pull into Kayli's driveway. Now is not the time for my musings. Kayli bounds from her home without any messages from me. She's cladded in a skintight dress that highlights all her assets. Her breasts are nearly spilling from the top and her ass is peaking from the bottom. Not exactly appropriate for a meeting with my boyfriends but I dismiss the thought. Kayli's interest in men is limited and I'm fully aware that she doesn't have the best record with them anyways. She climbs into the passenger seat with a giddy grin, planting a kiss on my cheek before buckling in. "Hey Spifire! Looking sexy."

I giggle at her wink. "Already digging into the liquor, Kay?"

She tilts her head at me, her long hair cascading down her chest as she giggles. My eyes follow the movement before returning to her face. "What gave it away?"