Chapter Eight

Mr. Blackbourne directs us into the movie room, and I hang back behind the crowd. "Can I speak to you, Mr. Blackbourne?"

"Of course, Miss Sang." We watch as the others file into the room before he turns to me. "Would you like to take this into my office?"

"No, we're okay here." I pause and contemplate my question.

"Is something wrong?"

"No! I'm just curious. When we spoke together at the charity event, it seemed as if you didn't trust me. Not that I blame you for the circumstances, but your attitude towards me has done a one-eighty; before you were made aware of my status. Same with Axel. What changed?"

Mr. Blackbourne's millimeter smile graced his face. "Our conversation that night enlightened me. I knew the timing was odd and wasn't aware of your motives. However, it wasn't your motives I needed to be concerned about. After you explained that Dr. Roberts was to thank for many of your meetings, I took a guess."

I nod and he continues. "Dr. Roberts could have connected you to many other Academy members to resolve some of your problems, as well as volunteer opportunities. He is well aware of my team's dating preference, and it was strange that he was placing you near us at any opportunity. He seems to be playing matchmaker."

I nod and sigh. "I realized that too; after Corey informed me of your group dynamic. So, you're not upset?"

Mr. Blackbourne's eyes have melted into silver. He grabs one of my hands in between his own. "Miss Sang, my team is already infatuated with you, and for good reason too. I—"

"Owen, stop hogging my Pookie. The boys are getting antsy." Sean calls from the doorway. His eyes are shining with humor and his face holds a wide grin.

Mr. Blackbourne sighs and releases my hand. I'm saddened at the loss. "Let's head inside before they swarm us."

When I step inside, I'm frozen. The movie room might as well be a professional theater. The movie screen covers the entire wall furthest from the door. There are three platformed rows of seats, alternating between reclining loveseats and singles as well as large bean bag chairs at the bottom. The wall closest to the door is a concession stand. Popcorn, slushies, candy, and more fill the space. "What the hell, Owen? I thought this was a movie room." I comment.

He steps up next to me, raising a brow at the lack of formality, "Movie theaters are expensive, especially for a large group like us. We all love going to the movies, so I made my own. It's already been used enough for its worth. Think of it as an investment."

I shake my head at his logistic reasoning for a movie theater in his apartment and move towards the seats before I pause. "Would you like to sit with me? You too, Sean?"

Sean wraps his arm around Owen's neck, "Of course we would, Pumpkin. Lead the way." Owen rolls his eyes at Sean before nodding towards me.

"Fucking finally! Trouble, what do you want to watch?" Gabriel asks when we take our seats. Sean cuddles me into his side and Owen places my calves into his lap, casually massaging them.

"Oh! I'd love to watch a scary movie now that its October," I say. "Unless you all don't like scary movies."

"As long as it isn't one of Nathan's zombie movies," Marc says.

"What about The Conjuring? I love paranormal movies," I offer.

"Sounds good!"