Chapter Nineteen

A/N: I love y'all's comments! Now, back to our regularly scheduled smut.

              I chew nervously on my lip. The gift shop bag in my hand swings as Corey and I walk down the street. After my scene at the haunted jail, I had to be checked by their local medic. Apparently it's not uncommon for people to get sick or freak out during the tour. Unfortunately for me, it was the ghosts of my past that haunted me, not the previous inmates. I'd rather have been spooked by a real ghost.

When I was cleared to go, Corey returned from the gift shop with the shirt as a consolation. I have no idea where we're off to now. I confirmed that I was still willing to finish our date festivities with a lot of back and forth about whether I was okay or not. Confirming that I was completely healthy, he divulged my request, but refused to tell me where we were going.

"We're almost there. I think you'll like this one a bit more." My cheeks flushed at the comment. I couldn't avoid the embarrassment from him seeing me in such a vulnerable state.

The streets around us have slowed with foot traffic once we maneuvered away from the main roads of downtown. Although I lived in Charleston for a bit, I never really explored the city. It's nice seeing the historic buildings, and even better with the company. Before finding Dr. Roberts, I was heavily isolated from everything. Only allowed to go to school or home. My step-mom eventually allowed me to wander the trails behind our home with the promise that I wouldn't talk to anyone. I was excited when we had moved to Charleston because it gave me a new landscape to explore after spending endless hours in the trees of Illinois. Strangely, there was a persistent figure that tried to cross my path on the trails behind our house on Sunnyvale Court. I used to be terrified of people then and ran any time I sensed their presence. I wonder how they're doing; I wonder if they were kind. Maybe even someone I could have been friends with.

Corey's steps slowed and we stall to a stop in front of a brick building. He looks at me with a soft smile, "I hope you like art."

Excitement fills my chest, "I do!"

Escorting me inside, I gasp at the vast interior. Corey grasps onto my hand and directs us further inside after handing our tickets to the attendant. I am greeted immediately by beautiful masterpieces. He leads us to a room, and we observe the first piece we stumble on. It's a scenic piece depicting ducks gliding along the top of lake water. The details are impeccable, down to the last feather and highlight.

"Wow," I breathe.

"I wonder how much time they invested in this piece," Corey ponders aloud.

"I suspect at least a month. With so many intricate details and the fact that they used oil paints."

"Do you like to paint? How did you know it was oil paint?"

"No, I never really got into it. But Kayli's brother was very talented, I saw his art studio a few times. He told me a lot about it."

"I see. I didn't know Kayli had a brother."

I smile, "They're very close. Kayli pretty much raised him."

Corey seems stunned at the information, and I can't help but laugh. "I know she doesn't seem that way, but she cares deeply for him. You two seem to know each other though, I'm surprised you didn't know."

He frowns, "It's not relevant, but a few bad altercations is all."

I nod and don't press for details. I'm well aware of Kayli's ability to make enemies more than friends. She's a lot like North in that way. She comes off as quite abrasive and rude, so it can be difficult for people to warm up to her. Similar to me, she struggled to find a team after being recruited by the Academy. Though her team loves her, her reputation is well-known around the Academy networks.