Chapter 30: Crystalline Viscera

"You're Caspian? Leader of the Telmarines, first of their name?"

"And King, hopefully," he added with an attempted smile. "Pleasure to meet you all."

"The pleasure is less than reciprocated," David responded. "Who the hell are you and what do you want with us?"

Caspian blinked. "I think I've already explained who I am, Your Majesty."

"What is it you want? Why are you here?" Lilith asked him.

"I already told you, I want peace."

"Seems just a little too far-fetched to believe," the Duchess chimed in.

Caspian nodded in a small bow. "The Duchess of Fortha- it is a pleasure. No, I am not lying. Centuries of dispute and failed colonization attempts have run Telmar into the ground- until I came along and united them."

"And what promises did you unify them under?" asked Lilliandil.

"Stability," he answered. "If the disarray of Telmar wasn't enough, we've had a famine recently to contend with as well, making my unification all the more difficult."

"So why did you bring your full invasion force?" The Duchess pressed.

"It is merely our full force, not one with intent of invasion," answered Caspian. "We wish to make peace, as I said."

The silence of everyone prompted him to add,

"This is not an invasion, Duchess, Kings and Queens...this is an exodus. And since your Star Festival is currently going on, what better time to hear us out in the interest of a mutually beneficial relationship?"

"I'm more inclined to want to hear them out from a distance," said Peter. "We've already dealt with an advance force from you, who knows what other surprises are up your sleeve?"

Caspian opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by the Elder.

"I suggest both Caspian and all his men be quarantined in some location. Not too far, not too close. Perhaps that wood by the River Rush that we passed on the way here?"

"Something we can agree on," Peter replied.

"Riverwood is quite the hot spot recently, huh?" David interjected. "Well, at least the Elder is right- we would be able to keep an eye on them while having them just far enough away for them to not cause more unrest."

Lilith folded her hands, lost in thought. Should they really turn them away so easily? Then again, her own memories with the Telmarines began to nudge her into agreeing with her husbands.

"I vote for Riverwood quarantine as well," she finally spoke.

"And I," agreed Lilliandil.

"Well then, Caspian, pack your bags," the Duchess remarked. "You and your men are going to Riverwood."

"But alone?" Oreius asked. "That surely can't be a wise move- I will go with them."

"I will, as well," the Duchess' Warrior volunteered, surprising everyone- was that the first time he had said anything in their presence? "As a show of good faith between the Entourage of Fortha and the Guard of Narnia."

Oreius nodded, agreeing.

"Then I guess it's settled," Lilith added. "You and your 'exodus force' will leave by sunset."

All turned back to Caspian, whose expression had settled into calm- far more calm, some thought, than would be shown if someone had just told him they would be restricted to some area out of concern and fear.