Chapter 17: Danger Zone

"Let's do a head count."

David surveyed the cloaked companions flanking him as they stood outside the castle town tavern. Lilliandil, Lilith, Heath. Even bathed in moonlight, each person's cloak hid them well.

David nodded slightly. "Cool. Ready to rock."

Lilliandil failed to bite back a smile. "Maybe curb the...David-talk, my love. Something more Narnian."

"No references, got it," he replied softly. Immediately he realized that would be harder than anticipated, as his brain immediately offered up the reference of Rango walking into the saloon for the first time. The Incredible High King held open the door for the others, with Heath giving a cloaked nod before David was the last to enter.

//////

"...What're your three biggest fears?" Lilliandil asked with a soft smile and a curious gaze.

David exhaled. "My dad, for one. And...thunderstorms always freaked me out."

The Star Queen blinked in surprise. "Is it the thunder, the lightning, or the rain?"

"Kinda...all of it, actually. And- tornadoes. Definitely tornadoes."

Lilith smirked beside him. Don't worry, Incredible, she whispered into his mind, I am a Goddess, so I can at least make sure Narnia never has thunderstorms or tornadoes again, if it'll assuage those fears.

David's smile quivered, and he nodded slightly. Thank you.

Lilith thought back to her cross-universe escapade, and satisfyingly watching David's father get uppercut.

And if your father ever arrives in Narnia, I'll smite him.

Not without me, you won't, Lilliandil added with a smirk, and David's own smirk grew in response.

Thank you both, he replied genuinely.

Suddenly, Heath cleared his throat. "Lovely conversation, so far- tavern was definitely a good idea so we can at least get one of you loosened up."

I wonder what other alcoholic beverages this Narnia has, David thought softly, with Lilliandil and Lilith giving soft smirks and side-eyes. Every time I drink, I wonder what other Earth obscurities I can pull from to fashion some new concoction. Cactus juice from Rango? Some sort of- bourbon, I guess, from Archer? TieTuesday's friend's drink Galactic Experiment mentioned in his Sonic and the Secret Rings playthrough? Actually, that- that last one would be a kick-ass name for a kick-ass cosmic drink, David thought to his Star Queen, giving her a soft smirk and side-eye of his own. I wonder what-

His referential adaptation really is...innate, isn't it? Lilliandil thought to Lilith, amused.

It doesn't appear to have an off-switch, if that's what you're asking, Lilith answered with equal amusement. It appears it happens even more so when he's drunk. The only thing suppressing it is- Narnia's usual, gradual Earth memory loss.

Lilliandil gazed back with love and sadness to her absentmindedly happy tangent-spouting husband. So all the other Davids in the Multiverse- the other King Davids in other Narnias- they're not...truly him? Or as much of him as he could be? As he should be?

Lilith gazed down to her half-empty glass of water. On some level, that holds true for me too. Being a Goddess has helped restore my Earth memories, but- the others of me, some at least...

The cloaked High Queen sighed and took a sip, prompting Lilliandil to send soft telepathic love to her- it felt like the warmest hug full of the most love that could fit into it.

Revolution || Narnia Fanfiction || thecallofnarnia & NaturallyNarnianजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें