Chapter 23: Recompense

Lilith stood for a moment outside her, David and Lilliandil's chamber door. Peter had walked her to it, but now his footsteps had faded in the direction of the dining hall, and she was stood, alone and frustratingly nervous.

Straightening her back, the High Queen knocked on the door.

For a moment, no sound.

"Come in."

David was sitting on the edge of the bed, slightly rocking back and forth. He didn't turn to look at Lilith or even move his head when she entered, instead opting to stare at the ground.

"Hi."

"I come in peace." Lilith attempted to weave lightness into her tone, but failed. Instead, she stepped in and closed the door gently behind her, taking a breath. "I've come to apologise."

David nodded. "Then that's three advantages you have over my dad," he replied softly. "Coming to apologize- he only did that once in my life- coming in peace, and coming at all."

He finally, slowly turned his head to look at her, and his eyes were still glassy. "I had a great night, and this morning has been derailed because I've been thinking of my dad. Now, ask me why I've been thinking about my dad," he replied softly.

Lilith crossed her arms, averting her eyes. "I don't think I- I mean- go ahead."

"Because I felt him again," he replied, slowly getting off the bed. "Because all of a sudden I was back on Earth across from him. The- that- it- gaslighting or- it-"

David wiped his right eye. "I never ever meant to take anything. I never meant to hurt you, or disrespect Peter, or anything. But suddenly everything was back to being my fault. I'm-"

He wiped his other eye. "I never meant to hurt you, and you hurt me. So- we both hurt each other, and-"

He sighed. "I can't shake that pain."

Lilith hated herself in that moment, for many reasons. One reason was that she knew she had no right to be blinking back tears.

"That's- You didn't hurt me. You didn't. Things have, but not you. I only said those things because-" She shook her head, crossing her arms together. "I don't have a- there is no reason that justifies how I was or what I said. But you never did anything, nothing but what I asked- what I needed."

"Things that I have or could have controlled. And they were very pointed comments, Lilith, there is a reason."

"I don't even know what I said." Lilith admitted. "I just- said things and needed to... whatever I said- whatever blame I tried to place is on me, not you. You've never done anything I'd ever find something to say remotely like that about when I'm thinking straight. I don't know how to express how sorry I am or how I'll ever go about making up for it or if you even want me to." She swallowed. "But even if you don't- I had to tell you that none of the blame I tried to place on you will have been true. None of- none of that was your fault and I am truly, truly sorry."

For a few seconds, David said nothing.

Until he did.

"...So where were you last night, out of curiosity? Not holding it against you or anything, I was with Lilliandil, but- I can assume you were with Peter? Actually, while I'm asking whereabouts, where were you for four months our time? You were...sorting shit, right?" he asked softly, genuinely curious.

It was Lilith's turn to fall silent.

"I- yes, last night I was with Peter. As for- I still can't believe it was four months... I didn't leave for the Multiverse, not really. Actually, I left for you. A different you but..." She shrugged, though with little energy. "It's still all an odd concept, and- well, it was you, so it was still very much an unquestionable thing to do. I don't know how much I can say without... breaking the Multiverse or anything..." She should know, she pondered, sitting on the edge of the bed, arms still crossed.
She should know.