Book Three: Chapter 31

Depuis le début

Huntar and the others released her. He sniffed. “Protecting you gave me strength to never surrender like a coward. Your will and skills also helped us survive too.”

“I enjoyed your past, which taught me new things to improve my battle skills,” Zena explained.

Torag swung his fist up. “Torag!”

Jenny guessed the rhino learned new things too from Jenny. He was a dumb brute, but he grew better over time by Jenny’s side.

Rani stepped forward. “I am also grateful you freed me from my master."

Jenny grinned and pointed her finger at Huntar. "He actually did that for you."

Rani giggled. "Overall, I am pleased to join your party. Although I didn't slay a sorcerer, the journey kept me entertained."

Basju stood next to Rani. "And I am thankful you saved me from that stinky nest inside the cave. You are an amazing human, Jenny. I shall never forget you."

“Thank you.” Jenny felt a rumble below her feet and turned around. The portal spread across the audience seats. It was almost close to the exit!

Jenny swallowed. “You better leave now. It is getting closer!”

Huntar took her hand and rubbed it. “Promise you will return… If you can.”

Jenny smiled at him with tears in her eyes. “I’ll try… If I don’t, take care of Zena and Torag. Don’t give up on what we started.”

Huntar nodded. “I will not fail them.”

He let go and ran down the corridor. “Follow me!”

After the others sent their last glances to Jenny, they retreated through the hall behind Huntar. Jenny will never forget their faces in her entire life.

She faced the growing portal. Her body turned white and her feet levitated off the floor.

She pulled as much energy from her system into her arms. Everything must count if she intended to stop that thing.

Once her body burned like fire, she held up her palms and blasted all her energy at the portal. To her relief, her two blasts pushed the sphere back.

While her white powers coated the portal, it shrank smaller and smaller.

It's working! Jenny kept pushing back, gritting her teeth. Stopping the portal from engulfing the world was the only thing that mattered.

When the portal shrank into a tiny ball above the platform, it exploded and a white flashing shockwave flew toward Jenny.

She shielded her eyes as the whiteness engulfed her.

*****

Outside, Huntar stopped and turned around when he heard a loud boom behind him. He saw the amphitheater building collapse into rubble. A giant dust cloud escalated over the debris.

The lion dropped to his knees. His friends joined him, glancing at the massive stone pile.

His heart immediately dropped as tears dripped down his face. "She’s… gone. Jenny is gone…"

Zena glared at him. "That can't be true! She could-"

"She’s gone!" Huntar roared. "I can feel it in my heart!"

He moaned at the ground, raining his tears into the cobblestone. Whether he knew, Jenny gave up her life for the entire world.

While crying, Zena and Torag sat around him. They hugged him, sharing their loss with him.