Chapter Thirty Two

Aaron walked alongside John with his hands shoved deep in his coat pockets. The evening sea wind blew through his tawny hair as he listen quietly to the conversation between Gregory and Richard about the current events happening in England.

John was also strangely quiet as they exited the double glass doors that led outside to the tennis courts. The grand stone balcony that greeted them split on either side with two sweeping staircases leading down to the tennis courts.

Taking a quick glance around the courts, Aaron's mind was far from playing tennis with these gentlemen. His thoughts kept returning to the single, detestable image of Lord John's hand going up Charlotte's thigh beneath the table.

The man was a scoundrel.

Trying to tamper down his inner anger, he had done his best to seem fine in front of Charlotte and the other dinner guests. Although what he truly wanted to do was stand up, grab the dandy by his collar, and give him a taste of his fist.

As soon as he had finished his portrait and collected the payment, Aaron had a plan brewing. He had no need to stay rooted in St. Augustine. He had no family left. Amongst friends and business connections, he could easily travel up north, or even to Europe.

He could take Charlotte with him if she felt so inclined...unless she wanted to risk going back to her own time, which he surely hoped she wouldn't. But as a man with no relations, it was difficult to imagine her saying goodbye to everything she knew without experiencing the same empty pain he carried within his own heart.

If he had the choice to be with loved ones again...he knew he would take it. Any opportunity, any chance. He couldn't possibly expect her to stay when all was said and done. The need for family, the need to be with others of kin and enjoy life on a shared path was something that he had always wished for ever since he lost it all coming to America.

He wanted a family again. He wanted love, children, a home of his own to be filled with love and laughter...he only wanted to be able to make a means for it to be a possibility one day, if he ever stopped being so scared of losing anyone again.

"I say, Starling, you look positively dismal. Here, take a racket and show me your game." John broke through his thoughts, shoving a tennis racket into his hand before turning and stripping off his expensive coat.

Aaron followed en suite, removing his own coat and rolling up his shirt sleeves beneath his buttoned vest.

"My apologies, I don't believe the roast sat well with me. Anyway, alright let's go." He answered with a carefree grin.

As they began their game, Gregory stood alongside Aaron while Richard played next to John. After a couple rounds, Gregory exclaimed breathlessly while wiping the sweat off his bushy, red mustache,

"So John, that pretty little minx up there is your intended?"

John smirked and called over the net,

"She is quite attractive isn't she. I can only imagine how much more attractive she'll be when I take her swimming next week."

Gregory and Richard laughed and whistled while Aaron stood there in disbelief. John cast a smirk at him then, making his blood boil.

"Apologies, Starling. Boys we shouldn't speak so about the chit around her brother here. But I do have one question for you. As her brother I'm sure you've seen a bit here and there."

"Tell us, how are her tits? Small? Perky?" Richard finished with a chuckle. John and Gregory both joined in the laughter as Aaron's face set into a deep scowl.

John noticed the change instantly in him with a veiled smile of amusement.

"Alright, now, none of this. Besides, I'll find out soon enough." He added, looking at Aaron all the while, "We're just having a bit of fun, old boy."