Chapter Five

I layed awake most of the night, staring up at the ceiling in the bed beside my mother's

I layed awake most of the night, staring up at the ceiling in the bed beside my mother's. My sister slept in a pallet on the ground between the hotel beds. My heart was beating in fear, as my eyes constantly followed the shadows on the walls and in the corners of the room. 

As I finally felt sleep begin to settle over me, I pulled the blanket higher up over my body, pretending it was some kind of protective barrier. My mind began to recall a few paranormal videos I had watched before on the internet about ghosts literally hopping into the beds of sleeping people, like just a literal lump in the blanket beside them.

My arms shot out, patting the blanket on either side of me just to make sure. I was letting my imagination run rampant with no filter because after what I had witnessed tonight, I wasn't sure what to believe in anymore. Who knew, maybe vampires were real too, or Sasquatch.

Or unicorns. I hoped unicorns were real.

My eyes squeezed closed tightly as I pretended that what had happened tonight was all just a bad dream. I would wake up tomorrow and the ghost would be gone. I hadn't seen him since I entered into the hotel, so I hoped he had decided to go back to his tower or wherever the crap ghosts go when they're not busy haunting the living.

The pounding of my heart began to decrease as I relaxed into the soft pillows of the hotel bed. The firm mattress beneath was so exquisitely comfortable I felt like I could just lay there forever.

Suddenly, fingers skimmed across my face, almost like a flutter.

My breath hitched in my throat as my eyes bolted open once more.

I wanted to scream so badly. I nearly did, but feared my mother and sister would awaken. I stared in horror as the ghost stood at the base of my bed, looking down at me. He said nothing.

Then he smiled.  

"Bro." I whispered, "What happened to keeping your distance? You're in my hotel room, this is so creepy."

His smile fell and he looked almost disappointed.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just miss you so much. I only want to stay near you. May I lay down with you, Charlotte? Just let me hold you."

Just like in those internet videos...

I shook my head frantically as I whispered back,

"No, heck no! And quit calling me Charlotte! Call me Lilith, just try it out, I know you can do it."

He frowned slightly before he repeated me.

"Lilith...if you insist on me using your middle name then so be it, darling."

I nodded in approval, yet it felt so strange to hear a ghost say my name.

Wait what? My middle name?!