Chapter Thirty

Aaron grew eerily quiet after absorbing this new information. His brows furrowed as he listlessly turned to stare out the second floor window. I could tell he was deep in thought, but I had no idea what to say now except,

"I'm so sorry..."

A stream of air blew past his lips as he shook his head, reaching up to remove his cap and wipe a hand through his dark locks.

"This is insane." He murmured emotionlessly. Glancing at me, he turned and continued,

"You have no reason to apologize. You have done absolutely nothing wrong, Charlotte. I mean that. Nothing. I just...need a moment to wrap my head around everything."

I nodded and walked towards the stairs to take my leave for the night. I had grown used to sleeping on Aaron's couch. It felt as if that meager piece of furniture had become my own space, my own room of sorts. I felt safe on it.

"Where are you going?" Aaron asked behind me, to my surprise. I halted and cast him a quizzical look.

"To bed?" I answered confusedly.

"Not there."

His voice was so soft, barely there and yet, the plea inside his eyes was so evident, so utterly palpable. My heart twisted in a pang of guilt as I faced him.

He took slow steps towards me, extending his hand to curl around my fingers. I had to tilt my chin up to look into his eyes when he stood directly in front of me.

"Stay with me...tonight." he finished in a whisper, his other hand cupping my chin, "Say you will."

My darling, as if I could ever object...

"Yes." I whispered, "Yes, of course."

His hand dropped from my face to clasp my own as he pulled me closer to him. Feeling the warmth of his body against mine while he held me, gave me an instant comfort I hadn't even realized I needed until right now.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned my head against his shoulder, closing my eyes.

"Are you afraid?" I whispered out into the silence.

Aaron's chest rose and fell with a small sigh before he answered against my hair, "God no. If anything, I'm elated. After all, I get the girl."

He eased back, tilting his head to look down at me with a fond smile, letting me know he was only teasing. Still, his words brought a smile to my face.

"Oh stoppit, none of that has to happen since we are already aware of the future." I muttered faintly. Aaron released me before pulling me with him up the stairs and towards the bed.

Joining him in the bed, I snuggled up against his warmth as he covered us both in a thick quilted blanket. Settling my head against his chest, I heard him murmur, "Time has a strange way of finding us all, Charlotte. If it is my destiny to die or live, then it will be. As for marrying...well, that's a different matter entirely. But we don't have to talk about that right now."

"Don't say that! You will not die!" I argued adamantly. Aaron only chuckled as I felt his hand trail up and down my waist in a slow caress before his lips found my neck. I turned my head slightly to look at him. He merely smiled softly as he leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to my mouth.

"Go to sleep, Charlotte. Don't let these worries frighten you."

How did his words and kisses always have such a soothing, wonderful effect on me? It was like he was certain he could give me good dreams just by his sweet attentions. He proved to be correct, for in a matter of minutes, sleep overtook me like a warm, comforting dream.