Prologue

St

St. Augustine, Florida
1890

"Aaron!" Charlotte screamed, thrashing her body and fighting against the two men holding her back with all her strength. Her fiance, John, sneered at her as he continued to grip the shirt collar of the pathetic man she was staring at adoringly. The man she had chosen instead of him, despite his immaculate wealth, his looks and charm, she chose this poor servant over him!

"Be quiet, Charlotte! This is what happens when you cross a man like me! You chose this vile, poor, pathetic skum over me and now you're both going to pay for the humiliation you've put me through. The entire town knew we were engaged, THE ENTIRE DAMN TOWN, CHARLOTTE!"

"I never agreed to marry you! You decided that yourself, you insane, possessed wretch!" She screamed back, pulling free from his friends', Gregory and Richard's hold.

"Charlotte, don't. It's over, love..." Aaron gasped out breathlessly as the blood continued to flow from his chest. Charlotte wept and threw herself upon him as she shook her head.

"Let go of him!" She screamed at John. He scoffed and shoved her away before yanking half of Aaron's body over the side of the tower.

"No, I don't think so. You can watch your lover fall to his death instead, bitch." He hissed before releasing his grasp on Aaron.

Charlotte screamed in agony as her eyes met Aaron's for the last time. Quickly, she tried to grab hold of him, but it was too late. he tumbled backwards out of the tower of the Alcazar hotel, plummeting to the cold ground below.

A pool of blood suddenly appeared beneath his body, quickly encircling him where he lay.

"NOOO!!!!!" Charlotte screamed in agony. She grasped her face in her hands and wept bitterly.

"NOOOOO!!!!!!!"